Moto GP .......... unbelievable!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not disagreeing with any of that AES. I believe that as it was a racing incident it is at the discretion of the dorna (the owners of MOTOGP) as to if it is a legal matter, as such, unless they took him to caught for attempted something or other there is no legal case as such. The judgement of a 2 race ban is a bit pathetic although I think that is a initial penalty and they may take it further. the teams as a whole have pretty much decided to say no to him now so that's something.

of course, if he had a ban from the GP circuit he is still open to other forms of racing unless the FIM revoke his international license, which would be an unusual step for them. (in the uk you'd fall under the ACU license and they have revoked licenses for scratch in the past). the FIM can also push for a court case and it would be held in France I believe.

you can read the regulations here http://www.fim-live.com/en/sport/regula ... rand-prix/
if you are really bored. :)

I've heard a lot of cries for stringing this guy up and setting him on fire, and a lot of remarks by some guy called Cal Crutchlow, who appears to be a bike racer of some sort.... but not a single word from Stefano Manzi, the actual racer whose brake was tweaked.

Everyone had a good laugh about it last night, though!

AES":732ol17c said:
by no means a "daily" occurrence!

I'm 100% certain that I didn't say it was either a "daily" or "every day" occurence. I said it wasn't a new problem.

Tasky, you wrote, QUOTE: Cal Crutchlow, who appears to be a bike racer of some sort.... UNQUOTE: While I'm no particular fan of his, he's a bit more than "a bike racer of some sort" he's a bloke who as far as I can see does very well indeed as rider for a private team with no official factory support at all (though I may be wrong about that). But anyway, for someone who by the "natural order of things" should always be down at the back half of the field, who came 3rd last Sunday (OK, would "only" have been 4th if Lorenzo hadn't fallen off 2 laps before the end), someone who has won at least 1 GP race and also placed in others, and is probably the best privateer of all nationalities in MotoGP right now, and who is not unknown for a bit of quite aggressive riding himself now and then, I'd suggest that A) he's not just "some bike racer" as your post suggests, and B) his comments may, for all the reasons given above, therefore be worthy of at least some serious consideration.

HOWEVER, I do agree that the innocent party in all this furore is keeping very quiet indeed (team orders? just a wise head? who knows)? And BTW, whilst bike racing IS the sort of sport that naturally attracts hyperbole in just about all it's forms, no one has suggested "burning the bloke at the stake" (to use your posting tone) nor machine gunning him (your tone again) but "simply" banning him as a racer for life (worst case) or, perhaps, taking him to court.

No ScaredyCat, I agree 100% your post did not say a daily occurrence. But IMO anyway, saying, "not exactly a new problem in motogp is it" was not only implying "a regular - or almost daily - occurrence" (my hyperbole) but was also inaccurate as in the 2 examples you cited, one was not deliberate bar grabbing at all, and the (unknown to me, but fair enough "mea culpa" if I hadn't seen/known about it) turned out not to be a "real race" at all (though agreed, still a bloody daft and dangerous thing to do).

So in short ScaredyCat, I would disagree, bar grabbing IS a new occurrence in MotoGP (or at least, it's a very very rare occurrence - thank goodness).

Thanks for the link novocaine. Boring old "fortz" that I am, I've downloaded that whole .pdf would you believe!!!!

Not that I shall be reading all of it by any means, but there have been some tech bike spec info that I've wanted to know for some time but too "busy" (read lazy) to google for the info.

Sad eh? :D

AES":1f2retw5 said:
While I'm no particular fan of his, he's a bit more than "a bike racer of some sort"
He's wearing race leathers and I've not heard of him - He's a bike racer of some sort.
I've heard of Hailwood, Rossi, Agostini, several Dunlops, Sheene, Doohan, Pedrosa, McGuinness, Fogarty, Graham, and of course Guy Martin.... but not this guy, who's suddenly being quoted all over the place - Seriously, his name gets more mentions than the two riders actually involved, in some articles.

and who is not unknown for a bit of quite aggressive riding himself now and then
Is that not like Vinnie Jones lecturing Zinedine Zidan on unsportsmanlike conduct?

HOWEVER, I do agree that the innocent party in all this furore is keeping very quiet indeed (team orders? just a wise head? who knows)?
It's more about that and how quiet he is, while everyone else is being all outraged on his behalf.
Why have we not heard anything from the person who was actually involved, and so little from the perpetrator as well?

And BTW, whilst bike racing IS the sort of sport that naturally attracts hyperbole in just about all it's forms, no one has suggested "burning the bloke at the stake" (to use your posting tone) nor machine gunning him (your tone again)
I assert my tone is accurate given that the pitchforks and burning brands are out, here and elsewhere. Not sure where you got machine-guns from, though.

But certainly there have been remarks (including here) about trying him for attempted murder... I'm not sure that's quite what he'd be charged with and there'd have to be a lot of proof of intent. Might not even qualify as manslaughter. But since we do not hold trial by public opinion, or social media (yet!), it's simply down to those in authority over the sport.
I still suspect he was just horsing around and it went wrong...

OK, I agree with some of your pints but not all, so agree to disagree in some areas eh?

"Machine guns" BTW, came from me and was, as said in my post, pure hyperbole (mischevious/deliberate exaggeration):

Don't think it's something to fall out about anyway, especially not on a woodworking Forum, so agree in some areas, no hard feelings.

transatlantic":2c3vefb9 said:
It's the same with footballers faking injuries. How do they think they're going to get away with it when it's all caught on camera.

I think footballers DO get away with it - week in, week out. Until they start dealing with it consistently and firmly, and the refs get backed up by the authorities and commentators, it'll go on. How about docking points from the club, (retrospectively if nec)?

Sorry, slightly off-topic mini-rant.

Back