Orbital Disc Sander vs Floor Edge Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_Ashley

Established Member
Reaction score
As some of my recent posts have probably suggested I’m trying to plan a floor restoration, so continuing on that theme……

Is there any inherent difference between a floor edge sander and an orbital disc sander?

I know it’ll take longer, but I understand that a random orbital sander can be used to do the final sanding stage of floor sanding (i.e. prior to staining/finishing etc.). Therefore, if there’s little difference between a floor edge sander and an orbital sander then I’m wondering whether a dual action sander might be good option.

I haven't used a dedicated floor edge sander but have finished plenty of flooring with a ROS - Metabo 450 or Festool Rotex 150. Both of them are dual action with the Rotex being easily the best (and waaaay more expensive). Some ros do have accessory edge guards to stop you scuffing the skirting boqards.

Suppose it depends how much you'd use it afterwards, guessing you'd hire the edge sander.

You can hire/buy semi flexible rubber backed 9 inch sanding pads if you have a grinder. In practice that will get you an inch or two out of a corner. Abrades quickly and easy to control.
No dust collection though.
When I get round to the next room (smallish house) I won't bother with a main sander. I'll just take the hit to my knees and do the whole room with the grinder.
Just another option, one off hire charge.
Cheers
Chris

What about one of those drywall sanders? 9" disc I think and on a pole so no trouble for the knees.

Could go I suppose. They had them in Lidls the other day funny enough Rorschach (no idea on quality).
Not sure you'd get the weight behind it?
Thing I liked about the grinder was it's so fast and the discs are graded but aggressive if the floor needs a lot of work. I wouldn't have fancied doing mine with my ros even at 40 grit although I used it at the corners. It needed a lot of cutting back. I spent a few years cutting a lot of stone/paving etc so am comfortable on a grinder. It's capable of a light touch. I can understand people can be wary of them but with no cutting disc there's not a lot to go wrong.
The only real downside for me (discounting knees :-({|= ) is the dust. Without even rudimentary collection it's time for a proper mask, goggles and tape all doors up. Escape through window if you're on the ground floor save polluting the house and set up an 'airlock' round the door with sheets. I'd consider renting an industrial fan when I do the next room. Even the upright one with bag collection caused a lot of dust.
Ros with really decent collection gets round most of that even better if you can stick your collection outside I s'pose.

Just as an example for OP not a guide or how to. I'm just a bodger.
The original floor, oak boards in need of some repairs and TLC. Old varnish and 15 years of neglect by the last owners to what was a good quality floor. (Idiots. Bear with me here... for the want of replacing an end stop to the gutter at step height, not the roof, they sat and watched as half the render at the back of the house blew. It costs a pound and you stand on a chair and click it into place!) Different strokes I suppose and we couldn't have afforded to buy it if they'd looked after it so small blessings. ;) )
No excuses but the bad floors looked worse and the good floors looked better than these photos show. Honest.
t5BYtse.jpg

Repaired, plugged and stripped.
PdzYNKh.jpg

I'd have gone with Osmo Nudey (Raw) here. Because look at it. I'm an interior decorating trail blazer after all.
f0AcuD2.jpg

No she says I want it shiny.
Like the last one I say?
She looks at me.
We compromise and buy Osmo Original. Not too shiny for me not too nudey for her.
UehEvrZ.jpg

Job well done I think.
Alright love? I say. Happy?
Hmmm she says. I think maybe I was right and we should have gone nudey, your one's a bit shiny isn't it.
Ah. I say. Hmmm. Could be.
I ponder the fastest response time from the local police station. No joy there the work van is limited to 70.
Later that day she comes back from Ikea with a big rug. I'm not even kidding here mind. That's a nice rug I say. How wide is it I ask?
Ohhh I dunno she says. About 2 metre square.
And how tall are you do you think I say. I'm about 1.55 she says.
Why do you ask?!?
No reason I say. No reason.
By the way love, I say, have you seen my spade lately ???

the rotex and metabo are not the same thing, dont confuse the dual orbit, rotex has fixed and random, metabo just has random orbit with a section of something like 3mm and 6mm, consider the MAKITA BO6050J it is the same as the rotex, fixed and random, in my opinion better than the rotex and for less money,

Love the different opinions and experiences you get on here!

Alexfn":1xlqztnv said:
the rotex and metabo are not the same thing, dont confuse the duel orbit, rotex has fixed and random, metabo just has random orbit with a section of something like 3mm and 6mm, consider the MAKITA BO6050J it is the same as the rotex, fixed and random, in my opinion better than the rotex and for less money,

See MarkA post at the top of this link (if it works!)

makita-belt-sanders-t113718-15.html

#-o

I use my tools to make a living. First job i did with that sander was refinishing a floor that john lewis wrecked pulling a fridge accross it. At a cost of 4.5k. Since then ive ripped the buttocks out of it on a regular basis and it hasnt missed a beat. Also has a 3 year warranty and for me has paid for itself long ago. Im thinking the guy in the link got a lemon. either that or i got lucky. I cant complain about it anyway. I'd still pick it over the rotex so much so i sold the rotex and dont regret it.

Having read around a bit, I'm leaning towards the Makita BO6050J. I've no doubt the Festool is going to be very capable, and probably better in some respects, but at almost double the price its perhaps not quite so attractive.

My main concern is not how does the Makita compare to the Festool or other dual action sanders, but hoping that it's up to the task of doing what floor edge sanders do.

Back