Bargain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cinimod":38n12x12 said:
Well, im sitting here trying to work out a pricing structure for my wooden clocks, wooden kitchen stuff and coat hooks for my first craft sale tomorrow. Going on that pricing I'll only have to do one show and I'll be retiring on Sunday morning............dom

At a craft fair last year I was talking to a chap who had lots of wooden items for sale which ones were his best sellers. He said the £5 or less items like keyfobs, wooden mice, doorstops, wooden apples etc. He also had some beautiful bandsaw boxes the most expensive of which was £150. He said he'd put about a weekends work into it and that lots of people admired it, but nobody had bought it as yet.

I don't know who buys these outrageously priced items that have been discussed on this thread, but it seems the normal folk who go to craft fairs don't have such deep pockets.

Don't forget the kudos of these products is more where they were bought from than what they actually are - for the ladies who lunch "They were only £67 each at the little Danish design place I know" has a far better ring to it than "They're neat enough, really, and they were only £20 for a set of four at the craft fair in the village hall." :D

From one Phil to another

Yes, you're absolutely right. In the UK, the public will pay stupid amounts for items on shops because that's what it says on the price tag. They do not really value the work, design and the fact that they are looking at a hand made object. Even though I don't make cards, this is one of my biggest beefs. You go into a card shop and they charge you £3.50+ for a mass produced card le at a craft show, there are brilliant cards for half the price and punters are not that interested (as a whole).

I seem to think, judging on my own sales, that tourists, especially from the USA are much more appreciative of crafts and are quite happy to pay a realistic price.

Phil

Back