Livid with Yodel driver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered some stuff online from Aldi. Get an email, "Your order is out for delivery today between 3.30 and 5.30". Great. Even a little link to show where it is on his route and how many stops before mine. All excellent. I check now and again.

"Number of stops before you = 1". Jolly good, I'll open the back gate and meet him.

White van careers down the road doing 40+. It's a 20 area. Said van has Yodel on the side.

"Flippineck", thinks I, "He doesn't look as if he is stopping".
Van sails straight past and instantly my Status is updated to "Sorry we missed you, we have left a calling card". Lying, lazy, *******.

So, in a slightly murderous mood, I get hold of Yodel Customer Services. Ha ha.

It costs to phone, but "Chat" (how I hate "Chat"), is free.
To be fair, the Chat Operative took me seriously (though he was slow, I bet he has half a dozen Chats on the go at once) and promised to do what he could. Breach of company standards, sorry, blah, blah, blah.

Could not tell me when it would be delivered.

Also rang Aldi, to tell them that their chosen courier was treating their customers this way. Freephone number doesn't work, but a bit of googling to SayNoTo0870.com gave me a proper geographic number and I was put through promptly, no significant wait, and I was talking to a Real Person (TM). More effusive apologies and promises to sort it out.

What really P's me off is that this driver has a job. OK, it's lousy money and long hours, probably, but it's a job and he chose not to do it. He wasn't even running late, he was right at the beginning of the delivery window. He was just a lying, lazy ...delivery driver.

So we will see what happens when he turns up tomorrow. We shall have Words.

Not just Yodel, I have caught others doing it including catching Royal Mail in the act, I opened the door as he was putting the card through and red faced was forced to admit he didn't even have the parcel it was still at the sorting office.
The only good thing is that once you catch them and the driver knows you are onto him, they never risk it again at your address.

I tend to agree with you, but why jump to conclusions, you have no knowledge I why he may have missed you.
Also I have learnt that things like this are so minor in the big scheme of things that really they are irrelevant. You know that, even though you can make as many excuses as you like why it's mega important, but it isn't. So what if it's a few days late, it's annoying but ranting achieves absolutely nothing apart from getting you worked up, no one else will lose sleep over it.
By this time next month there will be much bigger issues to worry about, there always are as those new problems are current.
Honestly chill out about it and life will be much simpler and far less stressful.

They are all the same tbh - you are at the mercy of the driver if he cant be bothered or its late or its friday afternoon then tough. I waited in 2 days for TNT to deliver a number of packages of electrical equipment I needed for the weekend. They never appeared either day - I was in the whole time and checked the CCTV - no show.
I ended up having to drive 30miles each way to their depot to collect the packages otherwise it was going to be the Monday before they tried to redeliver. One of the boxes had been thrown about to the extent that the box had holes in it where the contents had nearly burst through. Needless to say when opened it half the parts inside were broken or damaged. I had to go back to the supplier to raise a complaint but TNT didn't seem to care.

I have also had the same issue with Parcelforce and DPD.

doctor Bob":2tba6320 said:
I tend to agree with you, but why jump to conclusions, you have no knowledge I why he may have missed you.
Also I have learnt that things like this are so minor in the big scheme of things that really they are irrelevant. You know that, even though you can make as many excuses as you like why it's mega important, but it isn't. So what if it's a few days late, it's annoying but ranting achieves absolutely nothing apart from getting you worked up, no one else will lose sleep over it.
By this time next month there will be much bigger issues to worry about, there always are as those new problems are current.
Honestly chill out about it and life will be much simpler and far less stressful.

OK, Bob, what you say is true, There are most certainly bigger things in life to worry about.

But you are an employer, are you not? If someone you paid to do a job did not do it, I suspect you would be down on them like a ton of bricks, and quite rightly too. Not only does it inconvenience the customer, it paints you, the employer, in a bad light and that impacts on your business that you have worked hard to build up.

I don't think you would be happy with that. I certainly wouldn't be.

Steve Maskery":31o5e4tb said:
OK, Bob, what you say is true, There are most certainly bigger things in life to worry about.

But you are an employer, are you not? If someone you paid to do a job did not do it, I suspect you would be down on them like a ton of bricks, and quite rightly too. Not only does it inconvenience the customer, it paints you, the employer, in a bad light and that impacts on your business that you have worked hard to build up.

I don't think you would be happy with that. I certainly wouldn't be.

I'd not be happy, but work is work and life is life. The trick is to think about what your getting all worked up about and think will I still be busting a nut about this in six months time, the answer is usually no. I've had a very chequered past and it puts everything in to perspective. These days I don't bring it home, I try hard not to worry about things going wrong, it's part of life.
My friend committed suicide 2 months ago due to business worries, he could have just walked away and been alright, instead he hung himself, what an odd choice!!! He was a typical stress ball over minor issues.

I'm with Bob on that Steve as I know several people who really are putting their health and mental wellbeing at risk by blowing things out of proportion. Most people have had some difficult times so I'm sure you would understand that.

However, that said I also get a bit narked sometimes over deliveries like that, and they all do it for various reasons. Most of the drivers have too many deliveries to physically deliver and always return some to the depot. I got to know most of the regular drivers and don't have too many problems as we have safe places and neighbours to leave parcels but on Wednesday this week Parcelforce took one back a very important item needed for my wife who was coming out of hospital the next day. I collared the driver when it was re delivered as I know him well and it had been a relief driver.

The suppliers and couriers really don't give a damn and will pay lip service but it can give some satisfaction to have a bit of a rant sometimes even if it makes no difference. I've found that a well considered and polite but pointed email to a CEO usually is much more productive. I usually say "I'm not really complaining but feel you might welcome feedback on how your company is performing". :wink: Only company I ended up battling with was B.A. and Willie Walsh but still ended up with a result.

BTW, I think Yodel drivers are all self employed.

An unndelivered item card in letterbox from one company had box 'could not find address' ticked. Why is there even a box for that?

DrPhill":19mb6xdr said:
An unndelivered item card in letterbox from one company had box 'could not find address' ticked. Why is there even a box for that?
:lol: :lol:

DrPhill":341ev0qo said:

I had one marked "address not accessible" :roll:

Steve Maskery":22lj4a4g said:
I'm not sure there is any response to that Bob.

Sorry Steve bit morbid but certainly makes you realise whats important.

Delivery today, but not the same van. So I was polite to the deliveryman when I asked if he did this round yesterday. English is not his first language, so we had a minute to sort that out, but no, it wasn't him, so no good getting mad at him. I did explain what had happened though and he was genuinely surprised and shocked.
I also had a call back from Aldi Customer Services to check whether it had arrived, again, showing genuine concern.
I would like to know what, if anything, has happened to the original driver. I don't want him to lose his job, but I would very much like him to change his behaviour.

Some of these delivery guys are put under a lot pressure especially after a Bank Holiday. The one I met today (at work) wanted to rant about it for as long as I wanted to listen. He says it happens every time after a BH. It was a two minute convo but could easily have been ten if I questioned him. Nice bloke and stressed out with trying to make his living.

Before City Link folded they had the most appallingly bad reputation but for us they were brilliant.
As with most of these tales of woe, it's down to the individual driver.

some time ago had a delivery co fail to deliver three days on the trot but the website stated that the driver had tried and no one was in(liar) rang the company and asked for the drivers mobile number, when asked why I said that I wanted to ring the driver and ask him to describe my front door as he had been there three times! parcel was delivered next day!!!!

I had an engineer come to fix a fault with boiler - stayed in all day and dug out and planted flowerbeds in front of my house. Getting late so I rang . Claimed he had been and couldn't locate the property!! I live at the end of a street and had been looking up and down the road all day and saw no one!!

I think everyone has horror stories with delivery companies.
This was a doozee, I used to own a business supplying and printing promotional products (pens. clothing, mugs etc).
One of our clients (a public school) was notorious for leaving orders very late. One year they order a couple of hundred teddies wearing t shirts with the school logo on to be given to prospective pupils attending an open day for their prep school.
Our supplier after some badgering managed to fit them in to be delivered to me just a few days before the event enabling me to check and then deliver them on to the client. They were due on a Friday, 5 pm and no delivery, rang the supplier who chased the courier (Citylink I beleive), the answer was they had mislaid them, they had allgedly been forwarded on to the wrong hub somewhere in the north of England, they were trying to find them and would deliver ASAP. Obviuosly I stressed how urgent this was and that I was not happy.

Had to chase them again Monday morning and yes they had tracked them down and they would be with me Tuesday. The event was Thursday morning so just about OK.

Tuesday morning courier arrived, no damage to boxes so signed for them, I was in the middle of another urgent order I had to get sent off so it was an hour before I opened the boxes to check on them. T o find the teddies in large plastic bag basically soaking wet, you could literally wring them out and dirty grey water would drip out! The couriers had obviously not lost them but had somehow gotten them wet and been trying to dry them out, the supplier confirmed the boxes they were in were totally different to the ones they used. Quite how they thought we wouldn't notice I don't know.

A couple of years ago I ordered a compressor on line, the courier missed the time slot so I was out but left a note on the door asking they deliver to next door neighbour.

I got home to find he had heaved it over a 6 ft side gate and dropped it , didn't even put a card in the letterbox.

The compressor was bloody heavy and the words DO NOT DROP plastered all over the box.

When the driver came to collect the damaged item he of course said " wasn't me mate there was a relief bloke on that day" #-o - yeah right.

Latest posts

Back