Cutting corrugated pvc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I have just bought some (wickes) 2.4 m pvc sheets to roof a narrow alleyway at the bottom of my garden
I need to cut them in half.
Test cuts with circular saw and jig saw with a metal cutting blade resulted in badly chipped cuts. Which was not an enormous surprise.

Any ideas??

I’ve used a 4 inch angle grinder with a thin metal cutting blade, it does melt it a bit, but it’s easily cleaned up. It left a very clean cut edge no chips or jagged bits
It was a battery powered grinder as well so no cables to drag over the pvc sheet

Disk cutter is probably your best bet. Think I have done them with a fine jigsaw before but probably best if you can cut a stack so they support each other.

Does your jigsaw have a three position lever on the side? if so, move it to 1, which makes the blade cut up and down, rather than rocking back and fore.
Slow speed or the plastic melts back around the blade. slow forward movement.

24 point hacksaw blade you accidentally snapped in half. Bind a bit of tape round a hand's breadth of the teeth and use a motion like carving a turkey. Eclipse used to make a holder specifically for this. Great tool-let! Cut into 'peaks' first, then, with good support above and below adjacent to the cut (flat hand and bench top), cut into the 'troughs'. I've graduated from this to being able to cut the sheets with an induction-hardened, throw-away 6 point rip/cross/mongrel site saw with the corrugated sheet overhanging our garden wall! Once you develop a 'feel' for it, no more splits and chipped edges; cuts like Buttah.

Sam

Cheers chaps

The angle grinder and metal disc worked a treat.
would never have thought of that

Did this over the weekend my own self - Shattered one sheet using a jigsaw, so switched to a Stanley knife with a hooked blade. Worked well enough.

Back