4g security camera

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
Sort of wood related as I want to protect my workshop and there may just be some clever tech people out there.

I want to set up a security camera, but as we are in the back of beyond don’t have broadband. We do however have excellent 4G cover. Our devices are fed from an EE Osprey mobile broadband box.

Can anyone suggest something suitable?

Thanks

I know nothing about 4G but I would presume that any camera needs a power supply though I suppose those wildlife cameras that run on about 12 AA batteries might suffice.
IP cameras will need a router/switch (but not internet - that's to access them when away from home) & either an ethernet & a power lead or just ethernet if you use it for power as well (POE). Even if connected by wi-fi they still need to be powered.

As long as you have power you could run it over a home Wifi network to a local computer with storage.

Depends what exactly you want to do though, view live images from anywhere or just record in case of a break in?

I have several IP cameras in use so if you need more help, or info, just ask. :)

As others have said, you don't need the internet unless you want to access your cameras while away, or if you want to use off-site upload in case the same person robbing your shed robs your recorder.

Swann is one of the companies that makes home security camera systems with Network Video Recording (NVR) included. Maplin used to sell them (at the bricks and mortar premium price) but you can get them online. Another option is a network storage box or NAS. Quite a few of these from the likes of Qnap and Synology come with the NVR capability built in and all you have to do is add a camera. Handy if you're lookign for something to file backup, music library, photos and videos etc. Probably overkill just for a single camera if you're not looing for the NAS function anyway.

Back