Removing pulley wheel from lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohowson

Established Member
Reaction score
My NuTools lathe (late 90s, single round bar bed) has a problem:

1 - the pully outy bit that locks/unlocks the head stock pully wheel won't pull out far enough to turn - so I can't safely unlock the pully wheel. No problem - I'm a practical kind of guy. I'll just take off the pulley wheel and disassemble to fix. That led to problem number 2.

2 - One of the grub screws was mullered. No worries thinks I - I can drill that out no worries there's a second grub screw which is fine and if not I can tap it. But then...

3 - the damn wheel won't come off. I can move it about 10mm in/out on the spindle, but it won't budge any further off. I've tried wooden wedges - I've tried persuasion - nada.

So HELP anyone that knows what I'm missing?

I have an Axminster AWL37 which I suspect is similar - there were a lot of very similar round bar lathes about when I bought it, back in the 90s.

Looking at the exploded diagram in the manual, it shows that the pulley is held on by a grub screw (1/4" 20 x 3/8"). The screw bears on a flat, machined on the main spindle. This flat does not extend to the end of the spindle. So it could be that a screw (like CHJ said) is still in there, needing to be removed. The 10mm end to end movement looks about right for the probable length of the flat.

Here's a scan of the whole diagram.
Remember, I'm assuming your lathe is similar. The original printing is poor, so it's not as clear as I'd like.

AWL37diagram.jpg

The shaft is part number 41 and you can see how the flats for the grubscrews in the pulley (28) and the collar (31) are quite short.

Got it sorted if not solved. Drove the drive rod from the inside out until I could get to the back of the lock, penetrating fluid and drove that out so I can unlock. It's still stiff but as long as I leave it unlocked we're fine. Drove the drive rod (and pulley) back in. Inner bearing is further in than it was so assume there's going to be a little more play than I want but it works!

Back