Tree bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve really admired some of the carved bowls the likes of Richard Kennedy et al have been producing so thought I’d have a go at a bowl inspired by this theme.

Comments and critism welcome.

Simon

Attachments

• 9F9B7066-02F0-4893-B816-8E9A00EB29BB.jpeg
    9F9B7066-02F0-4893-B816-8E9A00EB29BB.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 527
  • BD16D397-D5EA-491D-BF99-4A46A9880A6A.jpeg
    BD16D397-D5EA-491D-BF99-4A46A9880A6A.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 527
Gosh, that is rather nice. Was the turning done green, judging by the slight wave on the rim ? I'm going to steal that idea.

Really good. Well done. I have had several attempts at this sort of patern and non have ended really well. On the first one I tried I turned the bowl too thin and didn’t leave enough material to work with in the carver no stage. Last year I tried another one with 2 trees and a deer in a clearing in between them. This one at least got finished, but also raised another question of whether the tree should be 3D, that is carved front back and sides, or left to be viewed only from the outside of the bowl. I am still unsure of the answer to that particular issue, but it affects how thick you leave the wall. I would send a pic of my deer bowl but I’ve only got a large sized one on this iPad and no way of reducing it on this device. I have to reduce any photos I need to post on my pc and put them back onto my iPad. Kind of kills spontaneity. #-o

Like the way your going with that theme Simon, a lot of hours invested in it.

You seem to have pulled it off Simon well done. i am working on a footstool at the moments as well as a leaf design on a bowl which is going to be pierced going to try 2-3mm thickness. So i would say that thin is the way to go even if it feels a little fragile.

Thanks for comments.

Wall thickness on this one is 1 - 1.5mm so only carving done with the pyrography really. Probably a couple of hours turning, couple of hours piercing and another couple of hours on the pyrography so a day in total I’d guess spread over a while.

Not sure how best to display at the moment - it was turned green so has warped at the rim and does’nt look right just on the side like a bowl. I’ve ordered a deeper plate stand to see if that works better.

Simon.

Back