Finish old marquetry wooden case.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrowleyE

Reaction score
Hi All.
This is my first post in this Forum. hope you can help me.

I was travelling through Bulgaria and i found this old wooden case.
I need some help and suggestion on what to apply to it, to protect it.
Will use it to house a modular synth inside, and i will be carriying it.
I think oil or wax could not be protective enough, and a varnish could look too plasticy.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3555.JPG
    IMG_3555.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_3556.JPG
    IMG_3556.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 508
probably a wipe on poly would best suite 2 - 3 coats so as to avoid any really shiny finish. if you dont have time for that and you want a shiny finish then a couple of cans of 2 pack lacquer from hlfords would do very well.

I'd say there's something there already as the bare wood pieces of marquetry have a shine. Possibly wax, but that's only a guess.

To apply most finishes you'd need to sand back to bare wood, which is not a good idea for this! If not, they'll probably fall off in patches.

Also, all finishes change the colour of wood, and all differently. So if you did sand back and, say, wipe on polyurethane varnish, you might dislike the change.

Are you sure you need a protective finish? Most finishes won't protect against knocks unless they are very thick, and thus plasticky.

I'd try wax on a least seen corner, and if that looks good, wax the whole box. Then be careful about knocks. You could make a fabric cover with a hole for the handle to use while transporting.

When sanding marquetry it's all too easy to drive sawdust from the darker timber into the pores of any open grained, paler timber. If that happens you're absolutely stuffed, you'll never get it out and it looks terrible.

Thanks for the suggestions.
The main reason to protect it is, is because some of the marquetry is coming off.

Wipe on poly looks good and i think protective enough. But do i have to sand it first ? I really dont like the sanding idea.

If not, wax would be my best option

Ahah! Then you're asking the wrong question, because finish won't stop the marquetry falling off.

You need to reglue the loose pieces. I'm guessing you don't have much woodworking experience, and I haven't worked with marquetry, but here is my guess about how an inexperienced person might attempt this. Someone who actually knows will correct my errors.

1. As it's old, the marquetry was probably glued with hot hide glue. I think liquid hide glue would be your best bet, purchased in a bottle.

2. Make stuff for clamping while the glue dries. Flat scraps of e.g. MDF, wrapped in cling film to stop the glue sticking. Some long elastic bands/bits of bike tyre to apply pressure. Practise clamping - you might need a tall block to get pressure from the elastic.

3. Heat the loose piece with a hair dryer until it's good and warm by not hot, squirt a little glue underneath.

4. Press up and down with finger to make sure the glue penetrates underneath. Clean off finger!

5. Press down firmly with a damp cloth, wiping off the excess glue.

6. Clamp and leave to dry overnight.

7. Remove excess glue with warm water, applied via a damp cloth. Not wet or you might loosen other pieces.

Only do a few pieces at a time or you'll make a sticky mess! When finished, wax it.

Back