Nitro cellulose gloss lacquer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbartlett99

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a can of this while in Morrells yesterday - as a test finish on some maple panels - but have never used it before and there doesn't seem to be much mention of it on a search here apart from as a sanding sealer.

I know the spray is a whiffy and I probably shouldn't smoke while doing it but has anyone more advice ? Be interested to know how it stands up to knocks etc.

Stick it in a sink of hot/warm water for 5-10 minutes and shake the heck out of it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just the normal measures for spraying,
make sure its a dust free area
Use a tack cloth on the part before spraying
no wind
very light mist coats to start and build up slowly
once you see a nice shine over the whole surface - STOP and let it dry
Give a very light rub down with wet p400
tack off and repeat.
Should give you really lovely high gloss finish.
If you want an amazing finish then leave a week to fully cure and then use autosol or T-cut for a light polish and be dazzled

hth

Morrells technical support is second to none, and they're just as helpful to a newbie in a shed as they are to an industrial giant. Any questions give them a call.

IF the stuff the OP is talking about is the same/very similar to model aero "clear dope", all the above is quite correct, but I'd add one further caveat - if spraying (or brushing), especially outside, do NOT do so if it's especially humid otherwise you'll often end up with "blushing". That's a kind of milky sheen that comes in "on top of" the gloss and will remain even after the varnish has gone hard. You MAY be able to brush it out with the next coat, but it's not very likely. DAMHIKT! It's due to excess moisture being trapped under the top surface (this stuff dries VERY quickly, and does so from the top surface down). Nitrated dope is a bit better than "pure" cellulose dope for this problem, but it can still be a problem.

Also, IF it's like aero dope, whether brushing nor spraying do NOT forget to allow for the extremely penetrating pungent odour that gets everywhere in doors. Just like strong pear drops - I like it, but SWMBO used to hate it! :D

Back