Table saw shipping to Italy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey78

Established Member
Reaction score
Goodmorning guys,
I’m in need of your help and only hope this is not the wrong section .
To make a long story short : I’ve a cheap-brushed-noisy-inaccurate table saw and want to upgrade to a better machine. I’m looking for a cast iron top, with an induction motor but, having a small workshop my wish is to find a small “bench top” table saw like the TS-250 from Axminster.
I could go a bit bigger if I find something like a contractor saw but that’s all. I don’t need and probably cannot afford a panel saw. In Italy (the place I live) there are very good panel saws but here I have 0 chances to find what I look for, so I need to look somewhere else and UK is by far my best option.
From time to time I find what I look for on ebay.uk or on gumtree but the problem is sellers quite always are not available for shipping and advertise their saws as pick-up only.
I managed to save a small amount of money to make the purchase but the day I find what I look for I will need a courier for a door to door shipping service .
Now I need your advice : Can you suggest any courier/company/ that will provide me with the service I need. I tried googling “pallet shipping to Italy” but did not find that much.
My best option for what I found on the web is
http://www.p4d.co.uk/pallet-delivery/pa ... very-italy
On this website looks like I could get a machine up to 150 KG delivered to my town for a fair amount of money ( shipping starts from 120£).
What do you guys think ?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated !!!

I live in Cyprus, and have had new machines delivered to me from the UK.
By far the best in terms of service and price is axminster.

If you ask axminster for a quote on delivery of a new machine to Italy i think you will find its between 2 and 3 hundred pounds to your door.

Be VERY careful if you try to ship a used machine. Shippers will give you a low(ish) price up front, but then suddenly there are extra shipping costs, handling fees, delivery costs from the port to your house and various unexplained amounts appearing from everywhere.

I have tried 3 times to ship a used table saw from the UK to Cyprus, each time the all in shipping costs have come to £500 or as near as makes no difference, which has in each case been more than the cost of the saw.
If you are determined to ship from the UK, you need to budget £500 minimum shipping.
You should be able to find a saw in Italy, there are many manufacturers there. Ask your local woodyard to search the internet in their native language (unless you are fluent in italian of course). Use the phone book to find furniture makers and go ask for help.
It doesnt work for me here, there are no manufacturers here and the Cypriots dont have hobbies. All that is available to me is stuff so big it would take all of my workspace and need 3 phase power.

Axminster's latest is free shipping in the EU over €99.00.

Mike

Take that offer! early this year it was over 200 to cyprus (which IS in the EU)
I shall have to reconsider my table saw purchase.

Realise that, but thought you may have a friend somewhere on a piece of land attached to mainland Europe somewhere you would like to take a trip too.

But the deal certainly sorts out the OP's question.

Mike

I can't say if the difference of the footprint with a contractors saw would be much difference
from the likes of a 12" cabinet saw, but I would think it wouldn't be much difference.
I would take Sunnybob's advice on finding some woodworkers close to you and asking them.
Is it machinemart or a similar website that may be worth a look also.
Get something that takes a riving knife for definite , secondary things to look for would be....slots either side of the blade for cross cut sleds, and a left tilting blade ability so the work doesn't get trapped between the fence and the blade.

What supply do you have for this machine...13amp plug or 16 amp blue plug?
From what I hear a 2HP single phase induction motor is really pushing it, but if you get
a three phase machine with a dual voltage motor, (which it most likely will have)
It will have 240v on the motor nameplate for three phase Delta (low voltage) mode.
A 3HP three phase motor will run from a 13amp plug no bother with a hundred quid VFD.

There should be plenty of really good machines in Italy, and I would be looking at the likes of
ACM, SCM and a host of others to choose from, as that's where they're made.

Don't be afraid of the terminology, as it really is as easy as wiring a plug.
If you see the right machine for a steal, go get it, three phase is usually half the price compared to single phase machines.
Good luck in your search.
Tom

Thankyou very much for replying sunnybob,
500£ it's more than two times the money I was asked by the courier service I linked above :?
If things work the way you say it would be too expensive !!!
I'm italian and have searched the web extensively for a good second hand table saw in my country but, apart for the big panel saws in 2 years time I didn't find anything matching my needings ...
By the way who did you contact to get those table saws delivered to Cyprus ?

MikeJhn":1m95p6oh said:
Axminster's latest is free shipping in the EU over €99.00.

Mike

Free shipping to Italy would be a good deal but the saw it's currently unavailable plus,
I'm not in love with the Axi saw , I would rather buy a saw like this :
upload img
325£ on Gumtree #-o .... much cheaper and probably better than the Axi saw !!!

Can't see what saw that actually is, but the Incra fence is an add on as is the router table extension, so not part of the original saw, I found the Incra fence system would not suit my workshop as it takes up too much room.

What is it you do not like about saws from Axminster?

Mike

Ttrees":13hh0gu5 said:
I can't say if the difference of the footprint with a contractors saw would be much difference
from the likes of a 12" cabinet saw, but I would think it wouldn't be much difference.
I would take Sunnybob's advice on finding some woodworkers close to you and asking them.
Is it machinemart or a similar website that may be worth a look also.
Get something that takes a riving knife for definite , secondary things to look for would be....slots either side of the blade for cross cut sleds, and a left tilting blade ability so the work doesn't get trapped between the fence and the blade.

What supply do you have for this machine...13amp plug or 16 amp blue plug?
From what I hear a 2HP single phase induction motor is really pushing it, but if you get
a three phase machine with a dual voltage motor, (which it most likely will have)
It will have 240v on the motor nameplate for three phase Delta (low voltage) mode.
A 3HP three phase motor will run from a 13amp plug no bother with a hundred quid VFD.

There should be plenty of really good machines in Italy, and I would be looking at the likes of
ACM, SCM and a host of others to choose from, as that's where they're made.

Don't be afraid of the terminology, as it really is as easy as wiring a plug.
If you see the right machine for a steal, go get it, three phase is usually half the price compared to single phase machines.
Good luck in your search.
Tom

You are correct ttrees there is plenty of good machines in Italy but as I said before they are big and heavy, just to make you an example :
img upload
This is the best deal I've found in Italy in the last 6 months, 900 euro for a 2017 minimax :shock:
What a deal .... but also what a footprint !!!
This would be my dream bench top table saw :
picture upload
You can find it anywhere in the U.S. from 100$ up to 350$ fully restored ....
But than there is again shipping plus customs :x

Thankyou for your reply MikeJhn,
I've gone through the link and have read all the topic about the Axi saw,
and I have to say that I'm slowly changing my mind about the TS-250,
from what I see/read it is a more than decent saw :wink: .
At 540£ (plus eventually shipping ) the saw is anything than cheap and I suspect that its success is due in large part to the lack of alternatives ...
Anyway if someone has any experience with a courier service (and want to share his knowledge) is more than welcome :D

I will say it again, Axminster are offering free shipping within the EU if you spend over €99.00 so your costs are reduced.

Mike

Add these to the TS250M-2 : https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-h ... kit-508214 and : https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-h ... and-508213 its literally the same as the Jet you posted the link too, plus its new and guaranteed, you may want this as well: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-h ... kit-508313 it has longer fence rails with it, the Axminster site used to offer all of these as a package on the drop down list on the right of the saw description, but this seems to have disappeared from this current listing.

Mike

HI MikeJhn I thankyou so much for your help !!!
I hope you'll keep giving me your advice and sharing your experience.
I've some few questions to which I would like you to answer :
1) How does the jet saw compare in terms of quality to the Axi saw ?
2) What is the basic fence like ? Is it any good ? Do I need to buy the right hand side extension kit to get a decent fence ?

Back