Removable windows for a gazebo/summerhouse...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
I've been asked to make four removable windows for the pictured shed/summerhouse/whatever you want to call it. They want to use perspex instead of glass and for it to be as simple and easy as possible to remove.

My initial thought was to create four frames that would each sit on two wooden "hooks" that could then be latched from the top to secure them in place. But before I commit to anything I thought I'd see if anyone has any better ideas. I haven't made window frames before...

jF5LPzo.jpg

tijc8RS.jpg

I'd leave some large tolerances. That building looks so poorly made and flimsy that it's going to be moving around with every breath of wind. Judging by the building, I wouldn't be rushing to make top quality windows. What's the expression?...............Ah yes: Lipstick on a pig.

Question: I'm guessing the best bet to cut the grooves to house the perspex would be using a router. I want to spend as little time as possible on this job so the 044 plough isn't the ideal choice (but it's all I've got).

El Barto":33ri9uip said:
Question: I'm guessing the best bet to cut the grooves to house the perspex would be using a router. I want to spend as little time as possible on this job so the 044 plough isn't the ideal choice (but it's all I've got).

Have you bought the perspex yet? "Proper" 3mm thick perspex would be overkill for the purpose - you'd be fine (afaik) with some cheaper polycarbonate which may be only about 1mm thick. A plough plane won't go down below about 3mm. You could make saw cuts by hand or with any sort of circular saw if you want a groove.

Another idea would be to consider sandwiching the perspex between two thin pieces of wood and screwing straight through the lot, with the plastic going all the way to the outside edges. You could alternate the corners and avoid doing any conventional joints too. (I'm assuming you want a quick lightweight construction.)

won't the corner brace/tenon get in the way? it doesn't look very well constructed, mike is right.

AndyT":vtqw1cxf said:
El Barto":vtqw1cxf said:

Have you bought the perspex yet? "Proper" 3mm thick perspex would be overkill for the purpose - you'd be fine (afaik) with some cheaper polycarbonate which may be only about 1mm thick. A plough plane won't go down below about 3mm. You could make saw cuts by hand or with any sort of circular saw if you want a groove.

Another idea would be to consider sandwiching the perspex between two thin pieces of wood and screwing straight through the lot, with the plastic going all the way to the outside edges. You could alternate the corners and avoid doing any conventional joints too. (I'm assuming you want a quick lightweight construction.)

Thanks Andy. I've yet to buy the perspex but yes you're right, 3mm is probably too much for this. A saw kerf is a good idea though.

thetyreman":vtqw1cxf said:
won't the corner brace/tenon get in the way? it doesn't look very well constructed, mike is right.

I did think that, but as these are going to be removable I've decided that they will sit over rather than inside the existing frame.

Back