Noise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlightfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a legal limit to the amount of noise I can make in my workshop,a neighbour has complained and asked me most politely to keep the noise down.I limit the use of noisy machines to reasonable hours,but last week I had to use the router quite a lot,I don't wish to fall out with him but I would like to know where I stand legally.

Generally it's only noise at night that can get you into trouble but regular daytime noise could be investigated.

What times of day are you working and how often?

I think a lot depends on how long a period you use your noisy stuff for. If it's on and off for a good bit of the day and evening, and at weekends them I would say that's an annoyance, never mind if it's legal or not, but just a few bursts of 10 or 15 minutes then that's probably OK. Both my neighbours have very noisy lawn mowers that are on the go for 20 minutes every week and that helps to make me feel easier about the limited amount of noise I make.

John

The best defense is a good offence.
Does he have a lawn mower? leaf blower? loud radio on the windowsill?lawn parties?
Complain the same manner as he complains to you.

If he's squeaky clean (very unlikely, but,) offer to make things for him just for the price of the wood.
Invite him round to see what youre doing. You never know, you might convert him.

As above - I only have a bandsaw anyway, but even chiselling and sawing seems loud to me, so I try and keep the noisy stuff to short bursts wherever possible... and no noise after 9pm, in case someone's kiddies are sleeping.

sunnybob":2j9ljkos said:
The best defense is a good offence.
Does he have a lawn mower? leaf blower? loud radio on the windowsill?lawn parties?
Complain the same manner as he complains to you.....
That's not a particularly adult way to go about it thought is it?

The problem with noise is it's very subjective and what one person finds objectionable another person will just shrug and say so what.

If you're friendly enough have a chat and ask exactly what he finds objectionable and when (were you 'at it' on a sunny Sunday afternoon when he wanted to sit quietly in his garden?). There's usually a mid ground with these things but remember if he complains to trading standards you could find yourself facing enforcement action.

Extract from https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... n_note.pdf
Statutory noise nuisance
Local councils have a lot of experience in dealing with noise disturbance. They have a legal duty under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to investigate complaints about potential statutory nuisances – including noise - and to take action to remedy them if they are found to be substantiated. In deciding whether a noise problem is a statutory nuisance, environmental health practitioners will consider a number of factors, some based on many years of case law.
These include:
• the level of noise (it does not necessarily have to meet a high decibel level to be a statutory nuisance – it can be a low-level but persistent noise, such as a music bass beat coming through a party wall);
• origin of the noise (it has to be emitted from premises or from a vehicle, machinery or equipment in the street);
• its frequency and duration;
• the time of day or night when the noise occurs;
• whether any aggravating characteristics are present (e.g., prevailing weather conditions can affect noise);
• any particular sensitivity of the complainant (e.g., shift workers; someone with hypersensitive hearing); and
• the character of the neighbourhood where the noise occurs (e.g. existing background noise and the sounds typical of the area).
To amount to a statutory nuisance, a matter complained of must either be prejudicial to health or a nuisance, either public or private, at common law. Both have particular meanings in law, however, and, as the courts currently interpret it, noise is unlikely to be prejudicial to health. For a noise to be a nuisance, it must be an unacceptable interference with the personal comfort or amenity of neighbours or the nearby community.
Once an environmental health practitioner has decided that a statutory nuisance exists or is likely to occur or recur, the local authority is under a duty to serve an abatement notice which will usually include an indefinite ban on a recurrence of the noise. In the light of that, it would be inappropriate to serve a community protection notice where a noise amounts to a statutory nuisance or an abatement notice has been served in the past and the restriction is still in force.

I'm definitely on the side of compromise, especially as the neighbour has complained "most politely".

Why not get together and find out the problem. It might just be the router, and the other machinery is no problem. In that case, the answer might be as simple as warning him on days when you need the router a lot and being prepared to pause while his favourite tv programme is on. Or he pops round once it becomes unbearable and you take a break.

If you can establish that kind of relationship all will be hunky dory.

ScaredyCat":ahhzh4h8 said:
Night hours are 11.00 pm until 7.00 am. To reduce noise nuisance from houses and premises, the law defines a maximum amount of noise which is acceptable during night hours. When noise exceeds the permitted level, the district council can investigate and take action against the neighbour or other noise source.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/noise-nuisance-and-neighbours

That's N.Ireland noise guidance, generally much the same as GB but Mansfield Council site more appropriate:

http://www.mansfield.gov.uk/noise

Whats wrong with my statement to complain about his noise in the same manner he complained?
Not harsher, not aggressively, but IN THE SAME MANNER.
Then I suggested offering to do the man favours if there were no grounds of complaint. Exactly what part of that is NOT adult?
Thats compromise that is.

I have changed most of my tools to quieter ones over the last few years.

Induction motors are nice and quiet.

My table saw and dust extractors are very quiet so is the bandsaw. Routers and sanders are pretty loud but I can't find a way round them.

I don't start working until 9am and stop before 7pm just to be on the safe side.

sunnybob":2aigubdz said:
Whats wrong with my statement to complain about his noise in the same manner he complained?
Not harsher, not aggressively, but IN THE SAME MANNER.
Then I suggested offering to do the man favours if there were no grounds of complaint. Exactly what part of that is NOT adult?
Thats compromise that is.
Please Miss, he made a horrible noise and I don't like it. No Miss he made a horrible noise and I don't like it (repeat as many times as you wish).

And it really doesn't matter if it's in the same manner.

Adult it ain't. Compromise it ain't.

Favours bit is fine, I've done that for neighbours after some particularly hectic activity.

Kevin

I don't know what you make, other than noise and dust!!

However, a small gift made using your router etc might be a good idea.

Phil

I'd keep noise down between 8 or 9am and 6pm.
If it's still too much for your neighbour he might complain and the council could visit. They aren't out to get you but would make recommendations and only if necessary would take measurements and turn it into planning procedure etc.

At the moment I am making bonsai tree display tables,but I tend to turn my hand to most things woody.Last week I was busy making tool caddies for bonsai tools which entailed quite a lot of pattern routing,one problem was the bearings on my router gave up and the noise was particularly bad,I've renewed the router and hopefully the neighbour won't complain again I also had the workshop door open which I will be careful not to do again,I was just curious as to where I stood legally,thanks to all who have answered my query ,some interesting thoughts,regards Kevin.

High pitch noises from routers etc may be deafening in the workshop but don't carry so far. Do your own sound test - switch a lot of things on, close the doors and windows, walk 100 yards away. You might be surprised at how quiet it is.
Low pitch is much worse - thumping, hammering, low drone from bigger machines, carry much further

treeturner123":sqrxgwyc said:
However, a small gift made using your router etc might be a good idea.

Definitely!

I'm a wood turner. I gave my new neighbour a bowl shortly after they moved in, and the odd little gift every now and then. Works a treat.

Friendly neighbours are worth their weight in gold.

^^^^^ what he said. My neighbours, a pair of l ........ adies, are quite tolerant of my making a noise and sometimes a mess outside and benefit from my doing odd little jobs and repairs for them. They ask me then bribe my wife with a bottle of wine. :D

Unfortunately if you have a nasshole of a neighbour who's got it in for you you haven't much hope. I had a neighbour who came to me one day to complain about the noise I was making as his wife was asleep, being on shiftwork. I said I wasn't aware that she could hear the noise of my paintbrush, and he said he was worried that later on I might move the ladder and scrape it on the ground. Three days later when he knew I was trying to sleep as I was working nights he spent four hours revving his son in law's car under my bedroom window while attempting to tune it. That was OK.

Just be careful if you run a business from home as councils can be real funny if reported,If you are registered then noise is not an issue between 8 am and 6 pm.

Latest posts

Back