Short on time, dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryS.

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've got 3 young children, a very busy job with long hours, a garage, a love of woodworking, and the following kit....

Record BS350 bandsaw (100m dust extraction outlet)
Bosch GTX10XC table saw (64mm dust port)
Various sanders (30mm ports)
Bosch GCM12SD Compound Mitre saw

Record DX5000 dust extractor

The DX5000 i bought about 6 months ago, attached it to the wall, and done nothing since. As a result whenever i use the tools there is zero dust extraction, which bothers me a lot.

So i want to sort out my extraction, but my family situation means sorting out a full piping system would take time I haven't got, and I don't want a 100mm pipe trailing across the floor with various attachments for small kit. So question is, can I buy mobile a shop vac or do the Peter Millard solution of a shop vac with a boom arm ?

I'm presuming a good shop vac can deal with the 60mm table saw, but the 100mm band-saw can I i do the same for that (by making the port narrower) ? in my head I'd like to get a Festool extractor, run some flexi pipe across the ceiling and solve all my problems :)

In short, i'm more short of time than money, so if i can invest and solve my problems i'd rather that than any solution which involves me putting together some sort of extraction system.

Help !

Paul

I have that bandsaw. You definitely don't need 100mm for it as the dust extraction is rubbish anyway. Sometimes I use it without dust extraction and there's not a whole lot of difference...

In your circumstances :
A powerful shop vac to deal with the two bosch tools.
Variable speed would be a help for any handheld sanders so that you can dial them down to stop them sucking down onto the work.
So far that fits a quality shop vac like a festool, bosch GAS35, Nilfisk Attix 33, fein ... maybe a metabo ASR35 (Starmix).

All your machines, especially the bandsaw might benefit from a higher airflow. Sticking with the mobility and high suction, it's worth taking a look at the Axminster Numatic NVD750 - like your record but on a trolley, quieter and two motors for greater airflow. It's expensive but well made. Numatic is a sound brand. It doesn't have variable speed though and it isn't as portable as a the others in my list with their smaller sizes and lighter plastic bodies.

For what it's worth, I use a shop vac with a 50mm hose up and over the ceiling to a small tablesaw, or to a mitre saw. It's not perfect but it is definately useable and far better than no extraction. Your table and mitre saws are portable tools so bosch would probably recommend a machine like their GAS35 to go with them.
Dust extraction on bandsaws is difficult - I'm learning the hard way - as all the ones I've used are very poorly designed when it comes to dust extraction.

Read this first: a-guide-to-dust-extraction-by-member-siggy-7-t102025.html

In essence you need two systems to cope with all the different machines you will end up with, HVLP (High Volume Low Power) 100mm chip extractor, I have this: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-h ... tor-501264 (2000m3/hr) which more than copes with all the large chip making machines I have, for smaller tools I use the equivalent of this: https://www.axminster.co.uk/numatic-nvd ... r-ax782721 (LVHP Low Volume High Power) I say equivalent because mine was made by Numatic and bought from them, according to Numatic its suction is about 400m3/hr, but the volume of air it moves takes dust well, the problem with the NVD750 is you can't use a bag on the 100mm inlet for fine dust, but you can on the smaller inlet with a bag, and for fine dust a sealable bag is almost essential, its the fine dust you need to keep away from, the way I use my version it has four filters so very little dust escapes into the workshop.

Hope that helps.
Mike

For the bandsaw, I was thinking of trying the Rob Cosman method of 'cross-cutting' a slot in a plastic vacuum tube and sticking that under the table, then simply attaching the shop-vac hose to that.
Anyone tried this?

Thanks all, I'd like to avoid two machines if possible as I'm a bit OCD about clutter and am a bit short on space, so it sounds like i may be able to deal with the BS350 using a shop vac, albeit a pricey one.

Thinking that through perhaps a good vac, with a long pipe and ready to fit to attachments on each machine might be the right solution, with the vac hidden up high, and the pipe on a ceiling set-up - i'm sure i've seen one before where one was attached to a rail on the ceiling to hold it up.

Hmmm, a solution is brewing - thanks everyone !

Paul

Tasky":3bni4571 said:
For the bandsaw, I was thinking of trying the Rob Cosman method of 'cross-cutting' a slot in a plastic vacuum tube and sticking that under the table, then simply attaching the shop-vac hose to that.
Anyone tried this?
I’ve done this on my Startrite 352 and it definitely seems to help. I haven’t done any scientific tests to assess how effective it is but it’s much better than nothing, which is essentially what I had before.

This may give you sone ideas:

Bandsaw.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• Bandsaw.jpg
    Bandsaw.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 762
Tasky":1tsum719 said:
Anyone tried this?
Yep. Extraction from top & bottom wasn't very successful with a shop vac but blocking the bottom 4" port & extracting around the blade is adequate but not total (for my DIY needs, anyway).

Paul, a Cyclone or Thien baffle pre-collector might sort out the capacity problem.

Thanks memzy mike and robbo, im liking the bandsaw ideas

Just been looking at festool shop vacs.....wow they’re pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve got a £60 Titan shopvac from screwfix (the one with auto take off) and it works fine. Plenty of suck if a bit loud. Bags are also fairly cheap from SF.

LarryS":2gai0nsq said:
Thanks memzy mike and robbo, im liking the bandsaw ideas

Just been looking at festool shop vacs.....wow they’re pricey

All the high end vac's are.
Festool score highly but not significantly better than a handful of other professional tool brands at similar but slightly lower prices.
There's no shortage of options in good value shop vac's if you can stand the noise they make or can put them in a box to damp it.
I'd suggest that Numatic offer a good combination of reliability / low noise / affordable price from a Henry on up.
It's all down to your budget and priorities :)

Raymond UK":2g76w053 said:
Is it an option to have two extractors, put one in the garage and the other outside the garage?

Not really there’s no suitable outside spot, regardless though I’d like to keep things simple so one vac is my ideal, currently drooling over Axminster website

As previously recommended I think the Axminster NVD750 is your best solution as it will at a push take chips from larger 100mm machines when you buy them, and you will, forget the cyclone's the NVD750 has four filters available to it, one being the bag it sucks into, which is sealable and disposable and another being a bag cut down a seam and placed under the two permanent filters which is also disposable, check out page seven here: https://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downl ... manual.pdf this all means you contain more dust inside a bag and do not excessively expose yourself to the dust when emptying, also has a flow meter to monitor the filters externally, additional facility to duct the exhaust air externally, this may not sound (pun) like much, but the Db reduction is marked when doing this.

Alternativly if you are sure you will never need the 100mm inlet there is this : http://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/Pr ... ogle.fr%2F same twin motor and mobility chassis.

A cyclone on the other hand, because of its design can not suck through a bag and therefore you have to physically empty the bin and expose yourself to the dust, that is what you are trying not to do in the first place, you will hear all the arguments about emptying outside, wearing masks ect, but you will have to make up your own mind which is best for you.

Hope that helps
Mike

Back