Question about old DeWalt planer/thicknesser (DW1150)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
After a rather enlightening and ongoing discussion regarding Elu's history in a thread I put up yesterday, The reliability and quality of an old DW1150 I've been eying up that is for sale in my area for £150 (also put a thread up about that) has come into question.

Upon learning more of the Black & Decker aquisition of Elu and DeWalt, I inspected the for sale planer/thicknesser and found it does indeed have a B&D logo on it next to the DeWalt badging.

The DW1150 I know from previous threads on here is quite a highly regarded little machine, but I'm now wondering whether there are two versions; an original DeWalt model before the B&D take over, and then a B&D branded one.

Is this the case? Might I end up buying what I think is a highly regarded machine only to find it is actual a shadow of its former self with cheaper parts? Or are they all B&D branded and were one of the products not affected by crappy parts.
I did ask this question in the Elu thread, though there's quite a good discussion going on in there right now so I don't want to derail it!

Thanks a lot.

Many moons ago I bought a second hand DeWalt unit. Apart from change of colour and badges I recall no noticeable differences between B&D and DeWalt.
The only repair work I had to do during ownership was replacement of feed rollers and a spring loaded bearing block on a feed roller. The machine was generally reliable and performed well.

Coin

Back