H. PENYCATE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryd

Established Member
Reaction score
In the course of a clear out, I find have several planes - hollows and rounds - very firmly marked 'H. PENYCATE'. My feeling is that he made them, very nicely indeed, and I'd be fascinated to know more about him. My guess, from the feel of the planes, is that he (or she) is no longer with us, but is probably within someone's living memory.
Does his name ring any bells?

If the marking is sharply stamped into the bodywork in slightly random position, it could also be a woodworker who has had his tools stamped to show ownership. I have several old chisels etc with the names of one or more previous owners stamped on them like this. Just mentioning in case your search should include journeymen as well as toolmakers.
Good luck !

Thank you, Sideways,
I'm pretty sure it's an owner's rather than a maker's mark. As one of the planes seems to be made, quite cleverly, from a piece of handrail moulding, I'm fairly sure it was all his own work. There are other little clues - a slightly clumsy moment in sawing out an escapement, for example - which argue 'amateur'.

Back