Record No 5 lever cap broke

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip shop

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests the lever cap on my record No 5 broke in half today while refitting to the plane after honing. What are my options for replacing? I assume a new Stanley would work, but the pictures on the internet look like the castings(I'm assuming cast steel) are bobbins.

Do Clifton caps fit or will it have to be a second hand job. I can use a cap off one of my other planes for a bit, but obviously I'd like to get this sorted ASAP.

PS I'd rather not buy anything off internet auction sites.

Cheers in advance and all that :)

You don't say if you're talking about a modern Record Irwin branded plane made in the far East or a proper one made in Sheffield.
Either way, a good old one is what you need, and if you don't want eBay you need a reputable old tool dealer who will probably have an assortment of spares.
I suggest you use the handy list on the TATHS site and start ringing dealers:

http://taths.org.uk/tools-trades/notes- ... ealers-etc

Chip shop":1tffhbk9 said:
...Do Clifton caps fit or will it have to be a second hand job. ..
Probably the best look would be a second-hand Record lever-cap (as Andy says), but I'm fairly certain that Clifton lever-caps are interchangeable with Record and Stanley lever-caps (but I'll check that for sure in the morning).

Cheers, Vann.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

Andy; I assume it's a lateish Sheffield made plane (but I'm about as far away from an expert on these things as it's possible to be). The lever cap has some sort of plating (chrome?) on it.

I'll give some dealers a ring today when I get chance.

Cheers,

Ed.

Chip shop":znqqxexw said:
...Andy; I assume it's a lateish Sheffield made plane (but I'm about as far away from an expert on these things as it's possible to be). The lever cap has some sort of plating (chrome?) on it...
All Record lever caps were plated - except for "Warfinish" planes (made during WW2). Earlier ones were nickel plated, later ones were chrome plated.

Does you plane have "Record" or "Record-Marples" cast into the sole in front of the knob?

Cheers, Vann.

Just Record.

Cheers for the info re: plating. My mate has got a No 4 with no plating so I thought it might be relevant.

It makes it harder for you not wanting to use auction sites. You can take your pick of buy-it-now lever caps for £6-£8 on Ebay.

I'll revert to my original suggestion then; if you prefer to deal with an honest bloke who will do his best to help you out, you could do worse than ring Ray Iles.

I generally find eBay is massively in favour of supporting the buyer...

But if you really don't want to use them, then consider trawling your local car boots, FreeCycle and antique shops, see if you can find a cheap, knackered plane with a lever cap in good nick.

On the occasions we dealt with them they were on the side of the seller - both of whom were out and out frauds. We refuse to deal with ebay as my wife (who's worked for banks for 35 years) refuses to deal with Paypal - another waste of space. :D

John ONeill in Waterford might be worth contacting
I have dealt with him and he is a nice man who's made a long standing business from being honest
and trustworthy.
He may have good contacts in the UK to get you sorted, as the postage might be a lot from Eire.

I'd say there are many folks on the bay who have lever caps and other parts listed there for a loooong time, that they'd nearly throw it at you.
I would think it might just be worth the risk you perceive.
Tom

Again, thanks for the advice from everyone.

I'm not really bothered about looks - it's a working plane and I wouldn't be bothered if it had a Fiat logo on the front and was bright pink, as long as it kept the blade in place.

I've contacted Ray Iles who will hopefully have something but the bloke who has the timber framing workshop next to mine reckons he might have some plane spares somewhere.

I'm not even that bothered about cost (well, within reason :lol: ), it's a tool I use everyday so it needs to be working, and I don't really have time to kick around carboots and that. Whatever will fit and will be most expedient will do for me.

Ttrees":3mxqj1en said:
John ONeill in Waterford might be worth contacting
I have dealt with him and he is a nice man who's made a long standing business from being honest
and trustworthy.
He may have good contacts in the UK to get you sorted, as the postage might be a lot from Eire.

I'd say there are many folks on the bay who have lever caps and other parts listed there for a loooong time, that they'd nearly throw it at you.
I would think it might just be worth the risk you perceive.
Tom

It's not really the risk, rather than eBay's customer service that I have issues with. A while ago (actually about 10 years...dunt time fly when you're having fun) I sold an overhand plane on eBay. The pictures showed up on eBay of the machine in my workshop a few years later, so I contacted the guy that bought it off me thinking that he was selling it on but just used my pics. He told me he was still using the plane and had no intention of flogging it.

I contacted eBay via email and left a post on the eBay forum. They emailed me back, basically telling me I was telling lies and deleted my thread from their forum.

I've disliked, what I conceive to be, their rather deceitful approach to dealing fraud ever since.

There was also a really amusing incident with a car but I'll leave that hilarious story until another time

Back