Record CL4 electronic variable speed lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a quick look on the web. The idea of jointing what used to be pretty substantial one piece bed bars makes me cringe ! That must be a cost saving stunt - easier to transport and an opportunity to economise as many people used to cut 12-18 inches off the original long bars to fit their workspace.
The record lathes don't have the best design in terms of aligning the drive and tailstock centres. Some tweaking may be needed to get this right. I have this issue. I'm working on it.
Pictured stand doesn't look like it will add much stiffness.
I'm learning here. I have recently bought a used CL2 and I'm fettling it / learning my way around it as a newbie to turning. Mine was a low cost way into the hobby and had the bowl turning accessory which I wanted. It was a decent lump of metal for the money.
If I can develop any skill, I know I'll want to trade up. I can absolutely see the attraction of speed control (which I don't have).
The Record will be far better than the cheap generic lathes with mechanical variable speed operated via a lever on the front which I've tried.

Morning Steve

I have a CL4 with speed control.

Not the best lathe available, but not the dearest either. It's an old design with the twin bed bars, but it works.

The variable speed unit had a reputation for unreliability a few years ago but I think RP now source it from the UK.

Five year warranty.

RP have a good reputation for warranty problems. My controller 'broke'. They sent a courier to collect it, repaired it ( the potentiometer had failed) and returned it after two days.

One thing to bear in mind is the old headstock thread. It's not that common these days so chucks and faceplates probably won't fit if you upgrade at a later date.

Cheers

Dave

The current model of this lathe is a great all rounders lathe backed by great service and support from RP. For the money it is an excellent tool which will do anything you can throw at it. Current model has M33 and MT2 so universal standard
Look through the forum for previous post threads sand reviews as I've commented on the lathe in the past a few times.
There are some design features I would prefer that more expensive lathes do better - but isn't that always the case... A nice 3hp Stratos or Killinger would be lovely of course....
I've been using mine for 2 years from new and it has never missed a beat. Variable speed is excellent and makes a beginners life so much easier.
I've added a shelf on the bottom of the frame and loaded a few kerb stones onto it to add some mass to it and to avoid bolting the frame to the floor.

Current model has M33 and MT2 so universal standard

A step in the right direction.

Cheers

Dave

Many thanks for the replies.

I hope to go to the Yandles show in September and will have a better look then.

Steve

I have a CL3 I'm thinking of selling although I'm up north so may be out of your way. It's been under the stairs for a while and I'm getting used to the idea that I wont have the space for it for at least the foreseeable future so the best plan may be to get rid and buy another when space permits.

There's a chuck and some other gadgets with it, as well as a few blanks.

Bear in mind with the twin bed bars some jigs and accessories are problematic to fit over a flat bed lathe. My VB36 has twin bars and I have added many after market jigs and thingamybobs, but it does require additional work and expense. Something to think about if in future you upgrade and the new lathe is a flat bed.

I've had CL3 but found it clunky and badly designed in all sorts of ways. Worst of all being the absence of outboard end to the spindle - only half a lathe IMHO. Being able to swivel the head doesn't make up for it. The 5 speed belt change was one of it's better features.
I've also had a Hegner with electronic variable speed which even worse in many ways. The variable speed was cr*p in that at slowest speeds it was also low power and you could stop it with your hand. I had expected it to be slow but low geared and powerful. Don't know if other variable speed set ups are the same.
Now have Arundel J4 senior with 1HP motor and 5 speed V belt. It's excellent am really pleased with it. Was just £100 on ebay

Back