Saw spot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohowson

Established Member
Reaction score
So my (already old and second hand when I got it) table saw died today. It jammed and popped the fuse, banged everything I could, replaced the fuse, turned a bit (looking wobbly) and then popped again - I think something has eaten a bearing by the looks of it.

Now I can't spring to much - whatever I get will be a second hand from facebook marketplace jobby - but wondering whether I should go table saw or bandsaw. Bandsaw is obviously more flexible, table saw when I'm cutting logs I can turn them over to do the other half if the blade isn't deep enough - for my budge the cutting depth of bandsaws doesn't look much (from the pictures I'm seeing they're looking like a couple of inches).

thoughts?

a half decent bandsaw will cut 10" deep
in my opinion, others may chime in, but never ever cut a log on a tablesaw
I have both and a log would not even get to look at my tablesaw
Steve

Was a case of what's at hand

Maybe I need to actually go look at one - I may be misunderstanding them

repair the table saw. bearings are a couple quid each. a big bandsaw is the thick end of a grand nowadays.

You can cut a log on a bandsaw, it just needs to screwed securely to a flat piece of scrap to stop it biting in on the round edge and completely ruining your day.

I think the saw needs to go. It was a tenner when I bought it - the screws to get into the motor housing are all torn up, it's got no fence - getting it working again is probably not worth the time it will take and it's just a guess it's the bearings. I figure a bandsaw would be more useful all round than a table saw

Bandsaw is certainly the way to go. In conjunction with the use of a chainsaw I prepare all of my logs but remember PPE is advised whatever machine you use play safe.

chain saws are scary stuff.
Over a dozen years ago I had a tree that needed to come down. The hire shop would not rent me a chainsaw without a safety training certificate. When I said I could go buy a brand new one off the shelf, they explained that there were so many messy accidents with chainsaws they would not let an inexperienced person near one of theirs. And even if i had the certificate, I still had to rent chain mail leggings and boots from them at the same time to cover their insurance needs.
I ended up lopping all the branches off, then getting a skip lorry to wrap his chains around the trunk and drive off to get it out the ground.

For cutting a few blanks from a log for turning I use a bush saw. Almost as quick as hunting out the chain saw, fuelling and getting the safety garb on. They are very economical to buy either new or secondhand.

Back