Boot sale find: sorby beechwood plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":8yeqky49 said:
Continual or continuous?

Ho hum. They look extremely good repairs, and despite possible errors in grammar - they've held up in a situation I wouldn't have expected them to - I'm impressed and I may even have to re-examine some of my own woodies - damn!

Just4Fun":2m47wmnx said:
ED65":2m47wmnx said:
My oldest repair, on a Thistle Brand plane by Ohio Tool Co., using just filled epoxy. It's been under continual full wedge tension for nearly two years
Does that mean you keep the wedge fully home even when you are not using the plane? I was taught to always loosen the wedge after use so it does not become impossibly tight if the plane shrinks. Is that not required?
I believe it is best practice to slack off the wedge slightly. I deliberately didn't do it in these cases so the repairs are under constant strain, to help assess their stability; I don't want to pass these on with any concern that they might not hold up if they end up as users.

It's not the epoxy itself that I'm concerned with, the track record of epoxies under strain and shock loading is well proven by their use in construction and in the repair of rifle stocks. But the inside of the crack wasn't the pristine wood surface you want to have to ensure a good bond, plus even warming the area well with a hair dryer you can never be sure how deep the penetration is.

phil.p":7o8c5j36 said:
Continual or continuous?
:mrgreen:

I do likes me a good bit of pedantry Phil, but in this case:

con·tin·u·al (kən-tĭn′yo͞o-əl)
adj.
1. Recurring regularly or frequently: continual improvements in technology.
2. Not interrupted; steady: a process that requires continual monitoring.

Synonyms: continual, continuous, ceaseless, constant, incessant, perpetual, eternal, perennial

I have a theory that its shrinkage of the body making the blade tight that caused the cracking, with a little help from lateral adjustment.
I have an old wooden smoother with an adjustable sole that sticks out 2mm from each side of the body and a very tight blade, I am sure they weren't made that way.

Pete

Back