Wadkin pattern makers vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangermouse 2nd

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bagged a Wadkin PM vice, from the grandson of the original owner. He was a cabinet maker and retired when he was 90!
Recently passed away and the family was clearing out what tools and stuff that was left, he loved this vice so much when he gave up, he got it taken off his bench and put away. Bit of surface rust from storage, but with a splash of oil/diesel mix it was soon working like new, not a bit of wear...

Attachments

• Wadkin vice.jpg
    Wadkin vice.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,186
I never knew Wadkin made these, until one showed up on the Aussie forum this past week (two in one week!!).
AndyT":27sybxep said:
...Is that an equivalent to the Emmert vice?
The same question was asked Downunder. The answer was:
Brandavino":27sybxep said:
Yes similar to Emmert but about twice the weight...
...and there was some discussion about locating it strategically so it doesn't tip over your bench. :shock:

Good find.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell it's original colour?

Cheers, Vann.

Nice one Dangermouse! Of course you've made at least a dozen here inordinately jealous you luckySOB.

Just how much does this thing weigh?

Google tells me that's about 25kg, less than I was expecting... twice the weight of an Emmert was a bit of a bad estimate there on the Aussie forum!

Well I snapped one a couple of years ago, and after doing some research the Wadkin version is the original patent and they sold loads to America in the early 19th c and then Emmett bought the patent and selling rights in America. Wadkin gave up making vices in the end of the century and stuck to cast iron machinery.

Hth. 😎

Well I snapped one a couple of years ago, and after doing some research the Wadkin version is the original patent and they sold loads to America in the early 19th c and then Emmett bought the patent and selling rights in America. Wadkin gave up making vices in the end of the century and stuck to cast iron machinery.

Hth. 😎
By 'snapped one' I don't suppose you mean broke it or even photographed it?

Also - don't you mean early 20th C? - generally the first vice/vise patents for cast iron bench vices were from 1860 (USA) and 1870 (UK) onwards -the earlier wrought iron types were of the blacksmiths leg vice kind.

Anyhow v interesting if the famous Emmett vise was first of all a Wadkin.

Back