Beech scraps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
_MG_7535 (1).jpg

_MG_7539 (1).jpg

Finished with white furniture paint, sanding sealer and paste wax. I see it finally attached straight to a wall, not on a shelf like in this pic.

Attachments

• _MG_7535 (1).jpg
    _MG_7535 (1).jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 1,244
  • _MG_7539 (1).jpg
    _MG_7539 (1).jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,244
I really love this art! Very nice indeed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I like it, novel and intriguing. I was going say "strangely calming", but I guess turning something like that was anything but!

i really like the concept
and got me wondering of other similar designs
how you held that i do not know

Steve

Thanks for the thoughts all. The hardest part was the bit most of you think nothing about I guess - planing the sides/ ends ready for the glue up. By the time I'd aligned the parts, compound errors meant the last joint was off and had to be re-cut and finished. But I really like the idea of combining joinery with turning, and hopefully this'll be the first in a series that develops that along the lines of Dutch modernist aesthetics (Mondrian and that lot).
I get torn between abstract things like this, and purely functional pieces.
I made this one a few days ago with the plan of trying to sell it, but as soon as I applied the finish (walnut oil from the supermarket) I fell in love with it and there's no way it's leaving the house!
_MG_7543.jpg

The plan's to keep making both hoping they'll feed into the sort that fit somewhere between (functional/ non-functional).
Cheers
C

Attachments

• _MG_7543.jpg
    _MG_7543.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,071
I keep looking at this piece not sure if I like it but saying that I can appreciate the work involved in getting the joints correct and get it centred for turning. Maybe a little more or different colour may lift it a bit more in my eyes.
As for the bowl if you are going to sell things remember the finish as some people are allergic to nuts and other things. I know you are keeping this one but worth thinking about in the furure

I like it, but makes my fingers sore just looking at it. A crack from that is something you wouldn't forget quickly...

Adidat

Yes, definitely wouldn't have wanted to catch a knuckle! That said, it's all clearly done from the front (no rim to fiddle with) so it was ok.

And you're right about the nut allergy thing, Derek. Til now I've only tried to sell purely decorative pieces, and I've been planning to start a thread asking advice on warnings, public liability, insurance and all that relating to functional pieces - I know it comes up from time to time but haven't found it all in place, unless anyone knows a thread that already does this and can point me to it?

Cheers
C

I did another this morning, this time using pine, ash, oak and beech.
_MG_7556 (1).jpg

_MG_7560.jpg

Next time I'd be sure to have the grain on the ash rising rather than falling - it creates the feeling that it sags to the right, I think.
I attached the last one straight to the face ring, but this time had to attach the assembled bits to a disk that I'd attached to the face ring - being careful to position the screws away from where I'd be turning!
_MG_7548.jpg

_MG_7549.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_7556 (1).jpg
    _MG_7556 (1).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 820
  • _MG_7560.jpg
    _MG_7560.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 820
  • _MG_7548.jpg
    _MG_7548.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 820
  • _MG_7549.jpg
    _MG_7549.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 820
Chris I really liked the first one although I didn't comment at the time. In my humble it has a real contrast which makes it work (at least for me). You have the contrast of shape and angle, round against square (OK: squareish ;) ) You have the form of it, the fact it's not a 2D design, shadow etc, but the thing that makes the first one for me as a design (again, just my humble) is that tiny bit where the circle just overhangs the rectangles. That for me is the bit that makes the first one. It's that little detail that catches the eye.
This is your difficult second album.
:D
Apologies, but for me it doesn't work half so well but I really appreciate you posting your ongoing efforts It's interesting!
Maybe it's the grain but i think maybe its just a bit dissonant. It doesn't connect. I think generally our minds like to connect the dots and tbh I find it hard to connect the dots on this one. No criticism!
A weird wander down the path of design and art and all that that I wouldn't normally get to think about. I had a great art teacher at school who told me all this stuff about the golden ratio, the rule of thirds and all that. At the time it was an eye opener, he was one of those teachers.
I am in no position 25 years later to quantify it but I do know I used to lay a LOT of driveways as a hard landscaper. My curves always got the thumbs up . Read that how you will lol meanwhile I need to get back to tiling the F*ng bathroom which is all about straight lines. Aiiii.

:cry:

I think you're right about the structure of the first one vs the lack of structure of the second, Bm. In the second one everything's different - the wood and its direction/ structure, and I really don't like the pine - it looks bland, I think. In case you get the time/ are interested, I've been looking at the work of Ben Nicholson and Louise Nevelson and for sure borrowing from that - but their works generally tick the structure box more than the second piece.
One of the main reasons for the layout of the second was just to try it out - how far from the solid blank could I go and still make those turning lines? I think a lot of art is just getting on and trying it out, see what happens - so things that start as sketches sometimes turn into finished pieces, other times they end up in the bin. I like the idea that this piece is dissonant, as you say - but once dissonance goes too far it gets meaningless and hard to like! I plan to keep doing some of these so will post more...
I really appreciate your comments - I read them yesterday but wanted to have a think before I replied.
Cheers
C

Being completely ignorant about such things, I'd never seen anything like your 2 pieces before (and I'd never heard of Nicholson or Nevelson before!) so both these were something completely new for me - unique as per the dictionary definition in my eyes. I'm not sure if I like them or not, but like all good art work (I think) it got me thinking which in itself is no mean feat! Thanks for posting.

Just curious , are the joints just glued or mortice & tennon, or both , if just glued does it hold well, and what glue did you use.
I think I will have a go at a similar design, using My LOM Revo rotary table.

Thanks AES - this is still very much wip, hopefully they'll head somewhere both interesting and good to look at!

Timber - the first one is just glued, and the second has three just glued and one (where there's the smallest area of contact) is half lap - I think even screwed to the board, the shock of the gouge hitting the edge/ face might have been enough to knock it off. I used regular Gorilla wood glue which seems to be fine, allowing it to dry over night. I'm sure you are more experienced at turning than me but just in case - be careful not to use too much pressure on the bevel as it'll drop into the gaps and potentially catch when it hits the next piece of wood coming around, and keep the speed down - I don't have a counter on my lathe but reckon it's no more than 250rpm, not ideal for clean cuts, but that's not what we're aiming for here. Good luck!

C

Back