Advice for a partialy disabled person-please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
here we go! jumping into the unknown...as far as loads of questions for me and prob you.
so i'll start at the beginning, and hoping yous arnt confused.
Always loved working with wood, my late father was a wood turner in the 70's and 80's.
Use to watch turn, and emazed of the quality of items.
But alas with lack breathing apparatus he died due to lung cancer, they quoted "Possible cause dust inhalation"
All said and done, the H&S aspects have changed over the years;.
I have full operation on my right arm and limbs, but my left is partialy disabled.
I am upright now.
my moments on the bad side is robotic and slow, my grip is there, but not strong.
So my grip I fancied getting one of the Velcro gloves thingys

Maybe able for going on a course just to see if I could (safely)
I'll cut this short, as I feel a woffle coming on! :mrgreen:
and don't want confusing.
Any advice would be appreciated (good or bad lol)
Bri

You don't sat whether you're right or left handed.
I would start by trying some different shaped handles - there's no law that specifies what shape or size your handles should be. If you turn them from an appropriate sized square section you could leave facets on them which would possibly allow a better grip. I haven't one to hand at the moment.
Horses for courses - these are my choice of shape -
DSCN2632.JPG

some like them, some loathe them - but they're for me not for someone else.

Attachments

• DSCN2632.JPG
    DSCN2632.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 579
phil.p":o8owle1i said:
You don't sat whether you're right or left handed.
I would start by trying some different shaped handles - there's no law that specifies what shape or size your handles should be. If you turn them from an appropriate sized square section you could leave facets on them which would possibly allow a better grip. I haven't one to hand at the moment.
Horses for courses - these are my choice of shape -
some like them, some loathe them - but they're for me not for someone else.

:lol: Thx Phil.
Typical...told you my woffle could get cofusing :mrgreen: specially to me..
I use right hand...I was left handed (that the bad arm) but back then I could use tools with both hands.
hope this clear it up :D
great advice m8 with the handles etc.
thx for replying.
Bri

You don't say whether you are right handed or not. Not that it matters too much as lathes due to there construction are really designed for right handed people so most of the tool control is done with the right hand. The left is only a guiding hand in most cases. Do you have problems with the right hand or is it just the left.
Can't help in respects of whether the glove would work or help. There sound from your brief description that there should no reason that you can not turn. For the days where you feel that your body is not up to it just leave it until you feel OK to turn. I have days where I know it will be or could be dangerous to use machines but even then not enough to spoil the pleasure of turning.
Yes get someone to show you.
As the post above once you can turn you could always make some new handles to suit your needs better. We had a gentleman demonstrate at our club who turns from a wheelchair he adapted the lathe and tool handles for him.
I am so glad that you are not allowing your problems to stop you having a go and hope that you enjoy the woodturning journey.

PS. I see that your post and mine crossed and you have stated that you are right handed

I would caution against using a glove anywhere near a running lathe. The revolving workpiece could grab and pull your hand in, with potentially dire consequences, far more quickly than you could react to prevent it.
Not sure what to advise instead to help overcome your difficulties, but I don`t think a glove is the answer.

There are several one armed or one handed turners & several blind turners so you might not be quite as restricted as you think.

sorry guys,
Been a hectic few days...
Well I email the chairman of Northumbrian Wood Turning Association, and it was great.
So helpful.
The secretary was also helpful, links etc.
So im off to meet them on Friday evening.
cant wait.
It was a long ambition to try, maybe getting closer....
I'll keep you informed.
thank you so much for replying.
Bri

Back