Another old saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarddownunder

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought this S&J saw from a dingy shop (cheaply). The lighting was bad I didn't spot the deep rust pit in the middle of the blade under the surface rust. It has an ugly handle and aluminium fixtures (didn't know that was a thing) so all in all an UGLY saw. I cleaned off the rust and gave the handle a once-over, sharpened it superficially. It's magic. Cuts like a dream. I used it on some 19 mm ply and it ate through it. So, the question is, this saw has quite a deep blade and is quite short and is a 10 point rip. It seems a better shape than most modern 'panel' saws as the blade bends less and doesn't chatter on the back-stroke. I don't know if this was intended as a general purpose budget saw but it feels surprisingly good to use on panels.
Cheers
Richard

Attachments

• S&J panel.jpg
    S&J panel.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 665
S&J saws of that age can be quite good quality.
The "screws" are possibly rivets, which can often be tightened by squeezing together in a metalwork vice.

Bod

Bod":1nnoio9u said:
S&J saws of that age can be quite good quality.
The "screws" are possibly rivets, which can often be tightened by squeezing together in a metalwork vice.

Bod

Definately screws, just gold-coloured aluminium. I guess you just don't heave on them too much with a screwdriver otherwise they'll break or strip. Yes, I was just impresed with how well the steel and stubby proportions worked despite the appearance.

Cheers
Ricahrd

Squeeze the handle cheeks with G clamp to pull the wood in, then tighten the screws.
Much less strain on the screws, works well with the older split nuts type screws.

Bod

Back