How do you bolt down your Lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not rocket science, keep it simple and accurate and drill straight through the stand at a diameter to take the anchor and bolt, drop it into the hole and if necessary add a larger washer !
I agree that it is a simple task but if the stand is drilled to make a hole large enough for the anchor to pass through a drill bit for drilling steel will be needed. As the stand will be resting on the concrete, as soon as the drill bit passes through the enlarged hole in the stand, it will come into contact with that concrete. I would imagine that that experience will not do the metal drill much good. This would need to be done 4 times.
On my Wivamac I found it a simple matter to remove the headstock, tailstock and banjo, drill pilot holes with a smaller masonry drill and then move the stand to drill the 16 mm holes. The anchor bolt manufacturers instructions can then be followed and the task is a simple one. No drilling of the frame needed and no additional washers needed.

Of course you wouldn't drill into the concrete with an hss jobber bit used for the steel, change to a masonry bit for that :roll:

Your lathe must be a lot smaller and lighter than mine !

What do you perceive the problem to be exactly with drilling through as described ?

If the lathe is walking its either out of level or turning to fast - its a useful safety feature I wouldn't bolt it down.

Brian

finneyb":xtqjncki said:
If the lathe is walking its either out of level or turning to fast - its a useful safety feature I wouldn't bolt it down.

Brian

As Brian said (and perhaps just shorten the flex to 1” longer than the lathe to socket so if it really gets away from you it’ll unplug itself!)

Back