Jack Russell and tommy cooper lamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm having a relaxing day after gluing up a load of stair treads this morning. There are similar lamps, the only thing different is I've changed it to a more recognisable breed- im hoping :lol:
First thing I did was Google ' jack Russell silhouette' the first result was this
rame3u7e.jpg

I haven't got use of a printer yet so sent the picture to the tv then kept cropping and resending untill it looked a similar size to the lightshade. I folded a sheet of lining paper and hooked it over tv then traced the outline.... piercing the paper a few times with the sharp pencil :cry:
du6eje9e.jpg

I'll route the leg folds in the side just to give it a bit more detail
gesysaqe.jpg

Sanding up next- which is never nice :mad:
Coley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I haven't seen one like that before, it made me smile. :D

I look forward to seeing it finished.

Thanks Tim. After I cut the out the shape I heard lots of cracking and shakes started appearing right in front of my eyes. I took the piece of wood from the 'dog end' rack so reckon that was why it was chucked out to start with. I was just a bit surprised at how quickly they grew ! Not sure whether to try filling the shakes or just accept that its just how it is :(

Coley

Thanks for the kind words ;)
pjm699":2kg5ywem said:
That's great fun, like it a lot (movable tail as the switch?), P

That would have been good, albeit abit time consuming :) I've opted for a basic in line switch which arrived today, although the quality of it is questionable. It worked out cheaper to buy an extension reel then chuck out the cable instead of buying plug and flex separately.
The other night i nipped back to work for a couple hours after nearly breaking my neck on a dog lead that was on the floor. Seemed like the logical thing to put on the end of the lead.
egebagup.jpg

yzaqe7y3.jpg

The plastic one needed to be a bit bigger but im glad I wasted a couple hours doing it. I've had to keep the plug so it sits proud of the lead otherwise it fouled the socket switch. One final push- just route the legs and sand and it'll nearly be finished besides oiling ! I need to watch some tv and get some groceries for lunch tomorrow really though :lol:
ytusa9ed.jpg

zysaderu.jpg

The osmo oil did seem quite forgiving and luckily hid alot of the poor sanding ;) I really do need some decent wax though.....

Coley

My only criticism would be that by fitting the plug into the lead like that, you are restricting where it can be plugged in to. It would have to be a single or right hand side of a double. Not 100% sure you'd clear the switch either...

Other than that, top banana :)

MMUK":1blunt34 said:
My only criticism would be that by fitting the plug into the lead like that, you are restricting where it can be plugged in to. It would have to be a single or right hand side of a double. Not 100% sure you'd clear the switch either...

I totally get what you're saying regarding the restrictions ;) the place I've just moved into use to be a office in its former life. The majority of the sockets are about 1.5metres off the floor so just thought I may as well make a feature of it instead of trying to hide them ;)
I really want to just drill a hole through the back of the plug then screw it into the wooden lead but ain't to sure if that be majorly dangerous - even though the screw head would be inside ? The alternative is to just rely on epoxy to hold it in place....

My bench is majorly chuckablock at the moment so decided to play it safe by not trying to route it tonight. Im just wishing my printer wasn't blocked at the moment. I thought I'd trace a pic of T.C just to see if it was really a bit too far out there.
5egerepe.jpg

I've found a slightly better pic of Tommy but after tracing it did wonder whether just routing his face instead of printing out a colour picture might be an alternative
uvatagy7.jpg

I think colour picture is definitely the preferred option but if I cant clear the blockage I might have to beg my workmate to try printing it for me :lol:
Cheers
Coley

ColeyS1":xlejli5a said:
MMUK":xlejli5a said:

I totally get what you're saying regarding the restrictions ;) the place I've just moved into use to be a office in its former life. The majority of the sockets are about 1.5metres off the floor so just thought I may as well make a feature of it instead of trying to hide them ;)
I really want to just drill a hole through the back of the plug then screw it into the wooden lead but ain't to sure if that be majorly dangerous - even though the screw head would be inside ? The alternative is to just rely on epoxy to hold it in place....

Not quite what I meant. The "lead" will cover the switch on the socket. If you're happy for it to do this then you'll need to make sure there is enough clearance for the rocker to operate correctly, 10mm should be fine. I mean that the plastic of the plug should sit proud of the mahogany by about 10mm.

I wouldn't use any mechanical fixings through the plug itself. I'd be looking to use something like epoxy resin, poured in and finished flush with the mahogany. Maybe take a dovetail out of the routing to ensure that the epoxy doesn't come out should it separate from the mahogany with use, the epoxy should "merge" with the plug plastic to an extent.

Off work today but had to go in so something could be collected. The Tommy cooper lamp has been an unfinished project floating around the workshop for....4 years !! Lol. I had an hour to kill so this seemed like a good little job to take another look at.
7120c086680c9047a37258edbe3eb923.jpg

b96aff7f4cf7ef4912272ba1a5f4f6a1.jpg

Last time I looked at it I was going to fit an audio module like you can get it birthday cards. I was going to record the phrase 'just like that' so each time the tassle/light switch was pulled it would play. That's what originally put the brakes on. I figured it would still be okay without the sound so cracked on whilst waiting around in the workshop.
cc4e91d497fe4c4af26f2bdc488709ae.jpg

It just needs assembling now. I've just popped back over to quick dry prime it and might nip back in an hour to give it a top coat. The momentum is back with this now -glad I went back to the shop on my day off !
Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Claymore":14qqyotm said:
JUST LIKE THAT! :roll:
Exactly lol.
I'm getting there now.
3b1e9aeb05aae16cf99eaf99db6795e0.jpg

9cf324725888fe512c80c856b841f1b5.jpg

Getting the wires through the holes was a bit fiddly but tweezers really helped fish them through.
Just need to sort the tassle out now. I'm not looking forward to that.

Glad this is finally finished.
500d32b7347a7d2a745ce8c4418a143a.jpg

The hat was quite a snug fit.
7e8cca4adfa53e06da0e38824cd7604d.jpg

I've gone for an led bulb to keep the temperature down. The copper bendy pipe is fixes on the bottom on the shade by a few blobs of stixall. The cord that pulls the switch is threaded through it.
59df37805a656301dc862faf330515e4.jpg

I reckon after a few ciders it might raise a few smiles.
4c366bdc1fab05109d1ed8d6e31e7fb8.jpg

872e6012ef34e18b716db1fad28317e6.jpg

Just need to find a place for him now where it'll be seen. Rip Tommy Cooper- gone but not forgotten ;@)

Back