Veritas Combination Blade in Record #044

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've just bought a Record 044 Plane and cannot source any blades for it beyond the 8 or so straight cutters that it came with. I'd like to get a reeding blade and was wondering whether I could modify the Veritas Combination Plane reeding blade (4 reed 1/8") - cutting some slots in it with a diamond file or Dremel- and use it in the 044.

I cannot find the dimensions of these Veritas Blades online, so I thought I might enquire here in case someone who owns both could assess this for me or perhaps someone has already tried this?

Many thanks,

Paul

In general, most blades from different manufacturers' plough-type planes are interchangeable with each other, including the Record ploughs (except Stanley 55 blades for deep mouldings, that require the re-setting of the guide skate).

The criteria here is that the blade is about 1/8 inch thick and the width is such that it can be physically controlled in the Record plane.

However, whatever combination of blade and plane maker, you will need to dis-engage the adjustment screw and position the blade by hand to get it to sit correctly.............

So, is the Veritas blade 1/8" thick? If so it will probably work. If no-one on this site can measure one, an e-mail to Canada will usually get an answer - always been quick to reply in my experience.

I believe that Record made some special reeding-blades for their 045 planes in the past and although the adjustment method is different, 045 blades will fit the 044 if you take off the adjustment screw. These blades come up occasionally on a well-known auction site...... though you could make your own with a bit of filing.
Good luck.

.........I seem to recall that Record/Stanley et al used to supply blank blades................
How wide, overall, has this thing got to be?

Latest posts

Back