Bookcase door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlpenter

Reaction score
I’m making a bookcase door and hoping some of you can bounce ideas with me.

It’s 1.4m high x 2m wide 320mm deep with mirrored back.

I’m working to a possible weight of 300-400kg.
Found a bottom pivot system used for gates capable of taking 500kg and thinking to make up a pin/sleeve for the top that can be fed in as I “hang” the door.

Would also like a dampener cylinder to stop the door slamming. Anyone come across such a thing that could handle this sort of weight?

Think I’ll use a magnet to hold it shut.

Considering to make it in 2 parts. A frame (easier to handle, set up and swing) and the bookcase that I will attached to the frame once installed.

Any advice/ideas/experience greatly appreciated.

would you confirm those measurements?
1.4 metres high, and 2 metres side to side?
You want ONE door, hinging outwards?

Thats a hell of a door in anybody's house. Is there room to swing it wide open?

It's hard to visualise what you're trying to design. A side-hung(?) 2m wide door weighing 350Kg is quite a beast - it would need to be quite carefully engineered so it didn't flex/deform under its own weight, thus making it difficult to 'close' the door. I'm wondering if there's an argument for some steel framework, possibly including castor wheel(s) behind the scenes.

Carlpenter":6fsm51n4 said:

I’m working to a possible weight of 300-400kg.

This is just daft.

judging by that depth measurement I think what the OP means is that he wants to build a bookcase that opens LIKE a door. So the whole bookcase pivots and swings out.

Still at 2m wide and with that kind of mass, the moment on the pivot/hinge is huge. I cannot imagine anything being achievable without deformation, unless you go to a steel frame and even then i'd probably have an outrider wheel/castors on the bottom.

2m though. Really?

he;s building a bat cave, its a cover for the two firemens poles to the basement.

sunnybob":2nxp7c6t said:
he;s building a bat cave, its a cover for the two firemens poles to the basement.

It does make you wonder, what tradesmen did Bruce Wayne use to fit out the Bat Cave? How didn't they clock on??

they did, but he killed them and ate the bodies. he was the DARK crusader dont forget. Dont be fooled by that cashmere cardigan.

wouldn't you need custom made titanium hinges for something like this? the weight is ridiculous, you'd need 4 men to move it around.

sunnybob":18135git said:
would you confirm those measurements?
1.4 metres high, and 2 metres side to side?
You want ONE door, hinging outwards?

Thats a hell of a door in anybody's house. Is there room to swing it wide open?

My mistake, 1.4m wide x 2m high.

Woody2Shoes":k6o851pb said:
It's hard to visualise what you're trying to design. A side-hung(?) 2m wide door weighing 350Kg is quite a beast - it would need to be quite carefully engineered so it didn't flex/deform under its own weight, thus making it difficult to 'close' the door. I'm wondering if there's an argument for some steel framework, possibly including castor wheel(s) behind the scenes.

i have considered a steel frame but as I don’t weld, hoping a timber frame sandwiched btw ply will do the job. Will pivot this and then I’ll fix the shelving to it.

thetyreman":1mbxuxpm said:
wouldn't you need custom made titanium hinges for something like this? the weight is ridiculous, you'd need 4 men to move it around.

That weight is fully loaded plus glass but I’m now thinking to make a timber frame, like a door blank and then attach the shelving to this. The advantage being handling and installation.

Brandlin":2pgap29c said:

judging by that depth measurement I think what the OP means is that he wants to build a bookcase that opens LIKE a door. So the whole bookcase pivots and swings out.

2m though. Really?

Yes, you have the right idea.

2m is the height... 1.4m wide. My mistake.

sunnybob":1la1ay50 said:

Yes, I do well off those guys. The Joker is next in the diary, wants his loft boarded.

Carlpenter":1md2v2gs said:
thetyreman":1md2v2gs said:

This pivot can handle doors 1.4m wide @ 300kg
http://www.rtrservices.co.uk/d-65540059 ... 2111-p.asp

And these gate hinges go up to a tonne
https://www.signetlocks.co.uk/product/b ... r-bearing/

That's all very well, but to what are you fixing your door?

There probably isn't any part of any wall in my house that would be strong enough to take those forces (as stated).

Maybe consider instead of side hung hinges have a central vertical pole to pivot around. Maybe off centre if you need more 'doorway'. Would be less worry about loading that way?

Latest posts

Back