'punched' letters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucksend

Reaction score
Hey all, I am sure I have seen the answer to something very similar in the past but can't find it...

I am making a 4 piece walnut puzzle/drinks coaster set and wanted to stamp or punch a date into the corner of each one. I am sure I have seen someone using a grain filler then boot polish then top coat of something to bring out marks in wood(such as my punched date)

Would this work?
Do you have any more details to narrow down my upcoming trial and error?
Any other ideas for putting a date in the wood?(for someone with terrible handwriting)

Super many lots of thanks for any info!

just an idea, you could try drawing on the text with pencil possibly using a stencil, then punch away with a nail punch and stay within the lines, would probably look good if you are careful.

That might work to make the numbers bigger, was thinking of just using standard number punches but maybe they'd be a hint small? Good thinking they're man.

Was thinking more about a way of finishing the wood to bring out the indentations

magic marker, black. it soaks into the wood. then sand off the excess and clear coat.
Or gloss black paint.

Paint is a very good idea, and so obvious! Probably seeps into the grain less than a marker? I'll do some testing

Do experiment on scraps of the same wood first. If hammering the punch, only use one hit - a second one will give you a blur.
I've got good results, better controlled, by using a vice or clamp to squeeze the punch into the wood, but you need to knock up some sort of holder so things stay in line.
Punched letters in side grain can disappear over time especially if the wood is re-oiled.

Latest posts

Back