Design advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of designing a "collector's chest" for my nephew's 50th birthday next year.
He is an avid collector of family heirlooms, geneaology etc and so the finished design will be something of cross between a campaign chest and a machinists tool chest similar to the one below (apologies for the image)
My first question is about how the drop down front panel (which can be stowed under the bottom drawer) is actually fitted?
I've trawled through loads of images and apart from fronts that are completely removable, I can't find anything as to ones that remain attached to the box. I'm guessing something like 2 pins at the back of each side and contained in a housing would work (although you would have to assemble this a part of the carcass), but does anybody know please?
The second question is about the pins which you can just see on the edge of the front panel (very bottom of the picture).
The very basic chests just seem to have these pins that locate in the lid when its closed, but I have seen one where the pins engage with the front apron (where the clasps are on the picture) and there is a spring bolt that runs through the apron that engages with the front when the lid is closed. Any idea what these might be called and where I could get any please?
And finally, if anyone has made anything similar or has any suggestions, tips etc I'd be really grateful if you could share.
Thanks.

Apologies. I managed to answer both my own questions so I attempted to delete the post.
The box in question was a Gerstner and their site lists replacement hardware as well as YouTube links.

please dont delete
I was looking for something similar for a cutlery box, and never did come up with the hardware
the box is on hold due to other commitments, but would be interested in other options when the time comes

Steve

Back