School play equipment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I've been asked if i can make a couple of different school playground pay equipment. A wooden tractor etc.
I am not sure on the requirements, does it need to adhere to EN 1176?
If it does not the product need to be inspected etc?

I've seen many of wooden play structures at petting farms etc and they look very DIY, so it has got me thinking it must be possible.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Don't know the details but as a rule you need to anticipate failure/accident etc and ask yourself if you would be liable by failure to take note of any rules. But they usually aren't that difficult to comply with - non toxic finishes, no easily exposed sharp edges/points being the most likely.

In my job I'm responable for our playground inspections/maintenance. But I hope I don't put you off, this is a great idea and is very much appreciated by the children and staff.

Quick question? Are you doing this as a paid job or voluntary? Liability is a big question when it comes to playground safety. If you being paid I'd look at informing your public liability.

In school we visually inspect or equipment weekly and all equipment is inspected annually by an external organisation ( RoSPA). You could install it just before the next external inspection and that should cover you regarding inspection.

It would be a good idea to call RoSPA, they are very help when ever I've spoken to them.

EN 1176 is about the way playground equipment is designed and layed out. EN1177 is to do with impact surfaces.

I've found a link which gives some useful information about entrapments and fall spaces.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ma5Nch ... p=drivesdk

I would have to check with my insurance I suppose.
Even if it was free would I still not be liable?
It's for my kids school so it was going to be heavily reduced rate.
I've had a read though EN1176 and it's not that difficult to comply with and if it's a case of getting the annual inspection to OK it then I might be able to do it.

Latest posts

Back