Union Graduate, should this be happening? (pictures inc)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
I was removing a drive centre by tapping it out but it was taking a lot of force. Eventually I got it out but, then gave the centre a light sanding and also the inside morse taper as they seemed rough and drive centre had rings.

If i remember right the whole headstock spindle assembly didn't move back and forth like this before. The graduate manual looks like it should be in the left position, but the paint work suggest right.

20180711_165513_1531324909750_zpspxitdrf6.jpg

20180711_165508_1531324910158_zpspl5meopy.jpg

20180711_165519_1531324909975_zpsu1afxosn.jpg

20180711_165525_1531324910079_zpss5adsyzr.jpg

Presumably there are screws you can tighten up that lock it down?

I've been trying to learn how it all works myself but having terminology gaps is proving hard.

Thanks

I forgot to say I can move it side to side, with just a firm fist bump.

You can lock it by making sure the spacer blocks are in the correct places, with the grub screws done up into the dimples to prevent side to side movement. I had this problem when I built mine back up!

Hi Tfrench,

I've located the set screws but I don't understand how you adjust the spacer blocks, unless they move when I slide the whole assembly across?

Also how do I know what the correct position is? Id presume it's where the paint job ends but i'd rather have a better way to know.

Thanks

It would appear that you need to slide the spindle towards the thrust bearing surface and then lock the collar to hold it there. The thrust bearing surface may need attention if there has been any amount of dust and dirt entering it.

Thanks.

I've been trying different positions but there don't seem to be any dimples to match up with the screws, that I can find.

I can now tap the drive centre out without it moving, though haven't applied force from a real workpiece yet.

Does anyone know what the tapped hole is at the rear of the spindle, just behind where the drive centre inserts. My lathe has been replaced with sealed bearings but that particular hole has nothing in it at all which seems odd.

Back