Planer cutting issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintandsteel

Established Member
Reaction score
I've an old Elektra Beckum planer / thicknesser which has served me well over the last few years.
Just recently it's started to misbehave, particularly noticeable when passing narrower sections through it.
Sometimes the planed surface comes out planed but with a wave like surface for want of a better description (high & low spots) and the section tends to migrate left to right as it passes through the machine. Mostly OK though with wider timbers.
I used to work mainly with Ash, Beech and Elm but I'm now using a lot more Oak.
I'm wondering if it's the Oak taking the edge off the blades quicker or even if one blade might be out of true.
Obviously I can check all the above and replace the blades but does any of the above sound symptomatic of another issue/s I haven't considered.

Sounds like your feed roller pressures a bit weak and a roller is angled. Has something come loose or broken?

Nothing's broken as far as I know.
Only issue I have is sometimes there's a bit of dust / chippings get stuck in the table winding threads despite having an industrial strength extractor attached. I brush the threads out regularly.
I'll strip it out and have a look at the roller.
That wouldn't account for the uneven planed surface would it?

On some models, the housings of infeed/ outfeed rollers don't bottom out fully
(and apply adequate pressure) because of lodged dust or particles.

Thank you for pointing that one out certainly worth examining.
Finding the time's been a issue all year but unless this job gets sorted now I'll still be planing slightly out of square and the finish wont improve.
Will report back soon.

Check the infeed/outfeed rollers. I had one of these; the roller coverings (rubber?) wore significantly over time and caused all sorts of similar misbehaviour. I've no idea if you can get replacements, but a call to Metabo might point you in the right direction.

Pete

1st report
The gripping infeed roller has a problem in that the right-hand side has some play in the bearing. This would cause it to lift slightly when timber passes under it. My guess is that the timber will thus migrate to the area of least resistance for want of a better description.
Is the bearing replaceable? Looking at I haven't a clue as to how to get it out.
Overall though that shouldn't effect the planing process should it as the cutter should keep it all level, shouldn't it?

Can't find the manual but further investigation in better light and I found infeed and outfeed rollers have spring tensioneers. Durrr !! Well that should be sortable.

Now I needs find the manual and get some new blades installed. Just in case I can't find it, when setting blades - if I recall correctly, set both tables true to each other and with new blade installed rotate the cutter so a straight edge over the blade is moved forward 5mm?

Back