Replacing blown double glazed units

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
A good customer has asked me if I can replace some blown double glazed units in some of their windows, not my favourite job but I have said yes.

Does anybody know if it matters what type of glass is used in the replacement units, for example I always thought Pilkington K glass had a green tinge to it where I would say the Planitherm I use now is more grey.

For example if I put a replacement unit made with K glass next to an original which might just be clear float glass will you be able to see a difference in colour or am I over thinking this like always?

I have replaced a few in the past and it has never been a problem but didn't know if I had just been lucky on the glass choice, lol.

Thanks, Doug

I guess the general rule is no worse than what you're replacing - except if safety glass is required by current building regs.

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I think that if you took one of the units to a good glazier they'd be able to tell exactly what type of glass the old ones are and recommend the best replacement. They may well offer to remake the units using exactly the same sheets of glass - just replacing the spacer bars.

Cheers, W2S

PS don't forget to mark the "outside" side just in case the remake option turns out to be a good one!

Back