rippled beech?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sunnybob":epu2ij2j said:
Memzey, we found a very upmarket hotel right near the forbidden city that lets you rent a super duper sunbed for 25 lira a day which is what emu is charging now.
The pool is not as big as EMU, but the luxury is way up there.
but dont worry, we will make emu at least one day. we got at least 5 kids and I've lost count of the adults this year.
If you can find a sanding sealer or end grain filler that is not explosive, that would be worth several beers to me on top of the purchase price.
Just let me know what you want bob and I’ll order it in. I’ll mix you up some hard wax polish as well as per Custards’ recipe (I’ve already mixed up a batch and it’s every bit as good as he says).

memzey, I have no idea what to ask for. I cant find anything here at all.
Just one can / bottle would be brilliant, but you would need to make sure its not on the " banned for flying" list as in not oil based or explosive.
Done fret yourself too much though, its only a thought.

Bob - you should start a thread in the finishing section to find the right products. I’m as clueless as you (homer)

did that, got hopelessly out of my comfort zone in zero sconds flat. All the recommended ones cant fly.
Dont fret mate, just bring your family.
Its very hot now, 38 and humidity high enough you dont want to be indoors for any longer than absolutely necessary.

I'm going back to the pool.

What do you mean by “end grain filler” bob? Do you mean regular grain filler that might be used in French polishing? For sanding sealer I might just bring you flakes of dewaxed blonde shellac to which you can add the solvent (meths). It’s what I use anyway.

heres the problem. I know what I want, but have no idea how to achieve it.
I have rosewood that is highly figured. so much so that I CAN NOT sand it flat. there are dust pockets I have to brush out before varnishing. It sometimes causes a problem when I am gluing up flat pieces for a box (I am going to go to an expanding glue for this problem).
My boxes usually have end grain that is prominently displayed. I take hours sanding it but it still looks flat when varnished.

Any help?

Not sure but I can get you rosewood (or similar dark wood) grain filler. You will still need to clear out the dust though (tack cloth, vacuum or air line) but I’m assuming that’s not the problem. The grain filler I have at home is not explosive (I think) - Rustins brand. I’ll see if they do a rosewood variety as well. Other than that are you ok with using dewaxed blond shellac flakes as a sanding sealer?

I'm grateful for anything you can squeeze into your daughters luggage allowance :shock:

But dont make her leave her make up case at home, she'd drown me. (hammer) (hammer)

Strange looking ripple, they seem very regular in size and spacing.

There is actually a beech tree in some woodland me, I'm sure it has ripple pattern viewing from the outside. So it does seem possible just very rare.

For a while, I thought it had been run over with one of those huge fork lift wheels, that just have opposing lines as tread.
But it got stronger when I ran it through the thicknesser and Its on both sides (although not as strong on one as the other. And what really confuses me is the centrals sworl. Its as though someone took a picture of a side branch sworl, and then repeated it all the way along the plank.
I havent cut it yet. I cant decide how to best use it.

sunnybob":2wd4j1u6 said:
I havent cut it yet. I cant decide how to best use it.

That's the question alright! Pretty much every maker I know has a few magical boards tucked away, waiting for that once in a lifetime project.

Given you've just the one board you could use it as a top for a coffee table or an occasional table, if the rest of the table was made from regular Beech it'd still look "all of a piece", but the top would certainly be the "hero".

Incidentally, Beech comes in two versions, steamed and unsteamed. They're both fairly common and there's no difference in strength or usability. But steamed Beech has a strong pinkish tone, just like your board, where as unsteamed Beech is a flat beige colour. If there's any 38mm or 50mm steamed Beech in your timber yard for leg stock then it might be worth picking some up, along with a board or two of 25mm steamed Beech for rails. If you can match the colour, if not the grain, with some more boards then it opens the door to a much wider range of projects.

Here's an example of the sort of thing I mean. It's not a great photo, but this was small board of exceptionally rare Rippled Oak,
Side-Table-Oak.jpg

There was never going to be enough for a large project, so the best solution was to make the top from Rippled Oak, and the remainder of the piece from regular Oak.

Attachments

• Side-Table-Oak.jpg
    Side-Table-Oak.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 37
most of what is available here is "superior steamed".
this particular woodyard supplies a couple of small local furniture making factories, which is why they have a such a good selection.
The ripple is quite pink compared to the rest of the board, almost orange.
When I went back there wasnt much left and what they had was pretty scrappy. I assume there is another load on order.

Trouble with making furniture is that we have a housefull, and its all oak (even if it is oak furnitureland).
The kitchen cupboards are beech faced, but its not big enough for any thing else to be added.
Woodwork has finished now though till september. Its 40c out there.
Its swimming pool and beer time.

sunnybob":3fdl33pe said:
Woodwork has finished now though till september. Its 40c out there.

Blimey! It's hitting 30 some afternoons in my workshop and I'm down to a crawl, 40 doesn't bear thinking about!

Its tough, man, its tough. :roll: :roll: :D
it was even worse when I worked (6 years full time on the island before retiring).
Just checked the thermometer under my pergola, that never actually sees the sun and always has a breeze blowing across it, but its still on 39.
But dont fret over me, I have enough beer to get me through 8) 8) 8)

Back