How best to remove front edging on kitchen worktop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau

Established Member
Reaction score
Helping a friend fit some kitchen tops. I dont normally work with MFC so not sure how best to approach this. It's a square edged profile worktop and the front capping feels like plastic. We need to remove some of this for a but joint but not sure how best to do this. Will it route off or will it melt into the cutter? Any other ideas how best to remove the capping appreciated.

Thanks

Beau":3tcubdre said:
Helping a friend fit some kitchen tops. I dont normally work with MFC so not sure how best to approach this. It's a square edged profile worktop and the front capping feels like plastic. We need to remove some of this for a but joint but not sure how best to do this. Will it route off or will it melt into the cutter? Any other ideas how best to remove the capping appreciated.

Thanks
Do you have any pictures?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

No sorry. Off to have a go at in an hour so any ideas need to come fast haha

I can't imagine a kitchen worktop being designed that didn't withstand a) heat and b) being routed.

But I know that's not helpful to you... It's just me thinking out loud...

Maybe try routing a scrap price first, like within the sink recess...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

It will route off, however if your worried about the cutter just use an iron or hot air gun to soften the glue and a pallet knife to strip it off. It will come off really easily. You will need to route / cut the edge off to remove the glue residue.

Thanks for the help.

Yes it did rout off OK. Just got worried as I helped out on one of these before and the guy tried to cut it off with a track-saw but it made little balls of plastic which made the blade deviate and made a messy cut. All turned out fine this time but would rather work with wooden tops any day.

Why wont the forum except pictures. I have shrunk them down to 210 kb but it still says they are too big. Sometime it will and sometimes it wont and I cant suss out why

Beau":2cmr5bry said:
Why wont the forum except pictures. I have shrunk them down to 210 kb but it still says they are too big. Sometime it will and sometimes it wont and I cant suss out why
If you host your pictures externally you won't have that problem any more. And the pictures can be much larger and clearer which can be so very handy!

Imgur is a good one I can recommend. I started off with Photobucket and thankfully gave up on it long before the pay-to-use fiasco because it was just too sluggish for me, went to Imgur on the recommendation of a friend and I've found it great.

It's occasionally a bit slow when traffic is high in the US but generally very reliable and it couldn't be easier to use. All you need to do is set up a free account and make sure you're logged in when you upload your pics on future visits.

Back