Coronet Major Headstock Bearing Adjustment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Good folks
I have acquired a "Major" S/No 119MAY72 from its home in someone's workshop before he moved to a smaller home, he said its not been used for many a year. Came with the full saw table attachment, faceplates three tool rests / brackets and all in its very good condition for a little used 46 year old.

I oiled the headstock bearing before running and its fine, however if you 'rock' the faceplate vertically there is a slight nudge of movement, Im certain not noticeable in use but would someone please advice the right way to take a up a gnats amount of movement. Looks as if it could simply be to clockwise (?) knock the front retainer?
All advice welcome and thank you

On the front and rear face of the headstock there is a retaining collar with a notch out of it if I remember right. You need to slacken one and tighten the other to pull the phosphor bronze bearing into place. Be aware there is nothing stopping you from overtightening it so be aware for resistance to rotation or excess heat when running.

Thanks LancsRick
Yes you are right it does have those collars, but I might have found the answer by accident. I thought I would leave the lathe running for a while and add more drops of oil to give the bearings a nice wash. Did that for 10 mins or so and no play at all! So perhaps the answer is only consider adjusting headstock bearings when the bearing has warmed up. Anyway no need to do anything now so thanks again. I know what to do for the future if needed.
However the lathe takes up a bit too much space for me so I guess it will appear on of the free friad gtree newspapers shortly. Shame because its a cracking bit of kit but available space rules

PM me your email address if you want a copy of the manual & other literature.

Thanks Robbo
Have just sent a PM (or think I have) let me know here if it doesn't turn up, or send me a PM - presumably one gets a notification that one has been received? regards

Hi Robbo,
I have just acquired a Coronet Major which i think needs the head stock bearing adjustment also i do not have the manual or any info on the lathe and its attachments could you please send me a copy of the manual or any info.
Kind regards.
Boomerang Bender

boomerang bender":27fwj9em said:
Hi Robbo,
I have just acquired a Coronet Major which i think needs the head stock bearing adjustment also i do not have the manual or any info on the lathe and its attachments could you please send me a copy of the manual or any info.
Kind regards.
Boomerang Bender
Just need your email address. Either PM or email me your email address.
You might need to make a couple more posts before being allowed to do so.

I have the coronet minor and there is also a little play. I thought that it mat have been the cause of vibration but am now pretty sure that its down to user error.....dull tool wrongly presented.
thanks for the above information on adjusting the headstock baring. the chuck doesn't vibrate when nothings in it. also early days on cutting my tenon perfectly.

John

After a bit more time I have realised that the bearing did need adjustment. I did that today..took5 mins..

Hi All,
I too have a Coronet Major like okeydokeys' but think mine is from the 60's, based on the paperwork I have. Had it for quite awhile & used the saw table a lot over the years but only recently started turning. Just noticed a "knocking" noise after a time when turning, wondered what it was and tracked it down the the headstock. Have always put oil down the cap on the head stock before I start and then probably every 1.5 hrs. Have noticed that it seems to run through and out of headstock and onto the main arm of the lathe (seems to have got worse as I've not noticed it before). There seems to be a little play when rocking face plate up and down. Will running the lathe until warm and then adding oil wash out any rubbish in the phospor bronze bearing prior to adjusting the bearing as discussed above or do I need to take it apart?

Hello, running on from this post, I have just got my Dad’s lathe up and running. The bearing seems solid with no play in it however does it need a periodic service and what oil is recommended to run through it? Pictures attached for semblance of clarity. Is there a manual available?

Attachments

• 9EA82189-87B3-43F0-954E-4669E8EFDDAA.jpeg
    9EA82189-87B3-43F0-954E-4669E8EFDDAA.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 1C4E8A18-EA73-4E22-BBCC-593D52113681.jpeg
    1C4E8A18-EA73-4E22-BBCC-593D52113681.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 5DAF77E2-A85C-490A-8C8F-46209D1653A9.jpeg
    5DAF77E2-A85C-490A-8C8F-46209D1653A9.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 8BAA4872-D746-4DC4-BF16-9A6DACC4D558.jpeg
    8BAA4872-D746-4DC4-BF16-9A6DACC4D558.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 25
  • A9448202-C3CC-4C64-ADBB-8B761401A811.jpeg
    A9448202-C3CC-4C64-ADBB-8B761401A811.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 26
  • 2FCCBF0A-A9F7-4652-890C-7800086DDC37.jpeg
    2FCCBF0A-A9F7-4652-890C-7800086DDC37.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 85ACF82B-398C-4DC1-AAD6-8A788D091A82.jpeg
    85ACF82B-398C-4DC1-AAD6-8A788D091A82.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 26
  • AAE4646A-BBA0-491E-BF17-C56A87C538C9.jpeg
    AAE4646A-BBA0-491E-BF17-C56A87C538C9.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 26
Hello, running on from this post, I have just got my Dad’s lathe up and running. The bearing seems solid with no play in it however does it need a periodic service and what oil is recommended to run through it? Pictures attached for semblance of clarity. Is there a manual available?
The manual states - a medium grade oil SAE 30 or equivalent.

PM me your email address if you want a copy of the manual & other literature.
Hi, I have just joined. I was looking at posts about Coronet Major lathes and noticed this one from you. I have recently acquired one of these and could do with obtaining a manual. Amongst other things I need to replace the ballrace bearing. Can you help? Thanks.

These should help.

Attachments

• Coronet Lathe Manual .pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Coronet leaflet (20 page).pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
These should help.
Thank you very much Robbo3. I am sorry it took a while to respond. I was away in North Devon when I saw your message and only had my phone with me for seeing messages. The screen is just too small for doing anything other than the basics so I waited until now when the desktop was to hand. Thanks again. Paul

Back