What should i do with this spare hardwood beam?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the most convenient photo for me to post -

2806_2_2.jpg

Its about 4mtrs long, and in good condition. The reason its out is due to other structural failings rather than itself.

I know that a chunk of wood like this would cost £250 ish to buy at a reclamation yard, but my situation is that i have it on the pavement outside my house, and theres's a limit to how long i can cone off parts of the village that dont belong to me!

So, what's my best plan?

Bare in mind it needs about 4 people to lift it, and i have nowhere easy to store it entire.

Im considering chainsawing it up into managable sections (maybe 1mtr lengths) and then stacking it somwhere for future use. My bandsaw probably doesnt have the depth to resaw it, although that would seem a nice plan. Im not into wood turning.

I know it seems a shame to shorten it into lengths, but, again, it on the public pavement, and i need a plan...

What do you think?

That's a bridging joist.

Why have you taken it out? If some of the joists had failed, then they can just be replaced, but a bridging joist is a critical part of the character and history of a building. A quick look at the mortises would give you a good idea of the date of the house, for instance (that joint evolved into something almost genius, through the collective experience of generations of carpenters). This one looks relatively early to me, as the later ones developed haunches rather than full-depth mortises.

It's not a lot of use as anything other than a bridging joist, I'm afraid.

Back