Using Pewter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexf

Established Member
Reaction score
I have started to use pewter inserts and collars as part of my turnings. Can anyone advise the best way to stop the wood being blackened when trying to blend the pewter with the wood. This is of course happenning when sanding the piece.

oak by any chance? The Tannin will be reacting with the copper in the pewter. Can't help with stopping it though as I have no experience of doing that

Wiley Online Library -
Corrosion rate and inhibitive efficiency was calculated for two series of tested samples (metals and alloys). An inhibitive effect of tannic acid concentration and immersion number in tannic acid solution on metal and alloys corrosion was described. Copper appeared to be the most resistant metal to corrosion in the presence of tannic acid.

I suspect it's just the lead that's doing the colouring. I've this problem to come, I picked up a couple of cheap pewter tankards to melt down. It's probably good to nearly finish polising the woodwork before working the pewter.

You could try a coat or two of sanding sealer & let it dry before adding the pewter.

After getting turning the two parts then Sand from the wood to the pewter that way you do not drag the pewter onto the wood. You will also need to move the sand paper to a clean spot each time yes you may go through more sand paper.

Thanks for your replies. It is definately not lead. I am using new lead free pewter. When I sandpaper the pewter the sandpaper becomes black and I was hoping someone had found an easier way to sandpaper the pewter and the wood separately.

I have decided that I will leave the pewter proud instead of trying to blend the join. This will make it easier to sandpaper each without staining the wood.

alexf":1n3pyx8b said:
Thanks for your replies. It is definately not lead. I am using new lead free pewter. When I sandpaper the pewter the sandpaper becomes black and I was hoping someone had found an easier way to sandpaper the pewter and the wood separately.

I have decided that I will leave the pewter proud instead of trying to blend the join. This will make it easier to sandpaper each without staining the wood.

Sorry - I was thinking of the tin, not the lead. I have one new pewter and one old - it'll be interesting to see what the difference is in use.

I turn the wood and pewter to get a flush join as possible and then sand but I try to sand the wood first, then the pewter. Avoid going repeatedly from one to the other otherwise you will drag the pewter sanding dust on to the wood and it will become impregnated into the surface of the wood. Before the final polishing of the pewter, I seal the wood with sanding sealer so it prevents the polish from colouring the wood.

When silver coloured metals are sanded the fine dust almost always looks black or dark grey rather than silver. I agree with Phil above that it is unlikely to be a reaction with either copper or tin which are both very unreactive metals and will resist attack by acids (hence use of tin coating in food cans).
Try to sand from the wood to the metal rather than vice versa and use compressed air (if you have it) to blow dust out of the wood grain before applying a finish.

Alexf do not get confused with the perceived chemical explanation, Tannin and Tannic Acid are two different chemicals.

Tannin is present in some woods [Oak] and incidentally in Tea so is quite harmless, Tannic Acid is not present in any wood.

Pewter will not react with wood.

Your situation is all about technique and the advise on sanding is where you need to concentrate.

Richard

Back