Trimming underside of a door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alder

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to try and trim the underside of door. There is very little clearance between it and the floor. Removing the door would be difficult. I have a japanese saw and Metabo saw with an oscillating blade.
I am looking for an option than minimises the risk to the floor. Any helpful suggestions please?
Russell

Assuming minimum removal piece of hardboard on floor use as a barrier and support cut through door sliding hardboard as you go. Buy new hard point saw . increase barrier /support as necessary if more removal required. I used to get jobs like this cos no one else wanted to do them.
all the best
rob

With the door open I should be able to get a piece of hardboard and a hard point saw in at the hanging end and work my way towards the other end.
Thank you.
Russell

You would normally work towards the hinge from the leading edge holding the saw still and moving the door back and forth will sometimes get you started or past an awkward bit. good luck
all the best
rob

I once saw a chippie on site use a biscuit jointer to trim the bottom of a door without removing it, going in from both sides and finishing off with a hand saw on the hinged side, from memory I think it took him less than 15 minutes!

Another idea is a multitool - place hardboard/board of yoy desired cut depth under or in front of the door, and work with the mutitool flush against the floor. It will take time, and it can be tricky to get a neat line... But if you want to take only a few mm off, this is a good way without damaging the floor or snagging the carpet.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sammy.se":3uh3w9zk said:
Another idea is a multitool - place hardboard/board of yoy desired cut depth under or in front of the door, and work with the mutitool flush against the floor. It will take time, and it can be tricky to get a neat line... But if you want to take only a few mm off, this is a good way without damaging the floor or snagging the carpet.

E.g.
trimming.jpeg

Attachments

• trimming.jpeg
    trimming.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 126
Is it a solid wood door or hardboard-faced door?
How much do you need to take off?

For a solid door where I just needed to take a bit off to prevent the door scratching the floor over part of its arc I opened the door to a place where there was some clearance and slid some coarse abrasive paper underneath. I then swung the door back & forth over the abrasive paper and this took off enough to meet my needs. I think this approach would not be suitable if you need to trim off a lot of material, and I would probably avoid it on a hardboard-faced door, but in some cases it is an effective and low risk approach(*).

(*) For a high-risk approach take the door off and give it, together with a panel saw, to my uncle. Don't ask me how I know this is a bad move, and don't look at the bottom of the bathroom door in my old house.

Just4Fun":31ngzrqm said:
I opened the door to a place where there was some clearance and slid some coarse abrasive paper underneath. I then swung the door back & forth over the abrasive paper and this took off enough to meet my needs.
This was my first thought.

My second was sinking a thin rasp into a bit of thin wood and doing similar, then sanding down the remainder.

Back