Triton TRA001 Router loose bit collet fault (Chuck assembly)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thedog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I purchased a Triton TRA001 router about 18 months ago but never used it until this week (Due to time and building a table for it)
It is fitted to a router table but for some reason the 'chuck assembly' as Triton call it comes loose and hence the router bit then comes loose.

Just to be clear, the bit sits in the collet and the collet nut tightens onto the check assembly. When it comes loose the bit is still tight in the collet and done up onto the check assembly, which seems like another treaded part which in turn screws onto the motor shaft.

As the motor turns freely, their is no easy way to tighten this up and it does not have any flats to do so either.

It would seem that it would 'self tighten' when routing. But it just comes loose and the bit wobbles all over the place!

Any suggestions? Unfortunately, I did not register the router so did not get the two year warranty.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply.

Thats not the problem. The automatic locks works fine and the collet nut and bit are tight. The problem is the threaded part between the collet / nut and the motor.

Its basically a round part with hole through the middle and threaded each end (Chuck body p/n 711021) It has 3 notches for the lock pin to go into. One end screws onto the motor shaft the other end is what the collet nut screws onto. Its the end that screws onto the motor shaft that comes loose.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, are you making sure not to bottom out the router bit in the collet? There's often a k line marker on the shaft of the bit to indicate the ideal depth of the bit.

If the bit bottoms out, it can easily vibrate loose

I know this is not the OP's problem, but to prevent bottoming out inside the collet I put a couple of appropriately size'd rubber O rings at the bottom of the chuck, just drop the bit in onto them and tighten up.

Mike

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

This particular bit does not have a mark like most. But I always ensure that that its slightly raised after inserting it fully, so it does not bottom out in the collet.

I will give Triton a call this morning. I hope this is not the beginning of lots of problems with this router. When I purchased it I was a choice between the Triton and the Trend. I hope I made the right decision!!

Thanks, I will see what Triton have to say.

Paul

Only me again,

One thing just to be clear about, it is not the collet or collet nut coming loose. The collet nut and bit are nice and tight. Its the part that is between the collet and the motor shaft. But their is no easy way to tighten it up.

Anyway, better get on the phone to Triton. Will post the result here later...!

Cheers

Paul

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

The part that comes loose is item No: 78 (Chuck body) its what the collet / nut screws onto.
Its comes loose the other side that screws onto the motor shaft.

This should really tighten up when in use.

Everything seems ok. No damaged parts.

One thing is sure, I can't use it like this as it comes loose and wobbles!!

Thanks

Paul

Back