Long hole boring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Record Long Hole Boring kit?

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/lo ... orse-taper
prod_000215_asset_0_1331114089.jpg

I want to get something to allow me to drill long holes for things like lamps. It looks like exactly what I need (2MT), and at a reasonable price. But it does look a little ....rough? ...in the pictures?

The other option is the Axminster Evolution kit, but for the lot it comes in at £120.

It does work the auger is not that special and needs a handle fitting to it I hve made a few lamps with mine. if making a load then I would invest in a new auger.

I have bought this kit and while it kind-of works, it doesn't seem to work that well.

I have bored holes through two 14inch bubinga blanks so far and the auger bit seems to be heating up like there's no tomorrow. I can just about go in for a cm at a time before having to cool it down in cold water...
The first hole ended up about 0.5mm off centre, the second has wandered out by about 1mm.
The dead center heats up as well.

Is there a trick to using this kit/ am I missing something?

Thanks.

PS I drill to about half of the depth and then reverse the blank.

PPS Is it possible to use an 8mm long spade bit, fed through a hollow tailstock instead?... just a thought.

I personally would not consider a kit that did not use a rotating tailstock ring centre, spinning wood on a fixed centre is designed to fail, unless you want a friction induced fire that is.
Regarding using other drill bits I made my own:-
DSC02754.JPG

DSC02753.JPG

For long hole boring it is well worth lubricating the drill or auger bit with beeswax. It makes a huge difference, both to the ease of boring and to the quality of the finish.

CHJ":28wclfc5 said:
I personally would not consider a kit that did not use a rotating tailstock ring centre, spinning wood on a fixed centre is designed to fail, unless you want a friction induced fire that is.
Regarding using other drill bits I made my own:-
DSC02754.JPG

DSC02753.JPG

How did you make that Chas? Looks very neat. I'm assuming you've attached an extension to a standard bit. I was thinking about doing something similar, using a round mortise and tenon type joint for alignment then silver solder, but worried that the heat would destroy the temper of the drill bit.
Rob.

chaoticbob":x3w73wrs said:
... I'm assuming you've attached an extension to a standard bit. I was thinking about doing something similar, using a round mortise and tenon type joint for alignment then silver solder, but worried that the heat would destroy the temper of the drill bit.
Rob.
Exactly how it was done, no problem silver soldering, just clamped the bulk of the drill bit with a heat sink block.

Some folks get away with a butt joint by just laying drill and extension rod in a piece of angle iron.

Excellent, thanks, I'll give it a go. I don't think my skills are up to making an accurate butt joint.
Rob.

Back