Hayward Workbench Build - Finished!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
This has been a longtime coming for me, but I have finally run out of excuses to start this Workbench build. The Black and Decker workmate isn't cutting it anymore. Don't expect regular updates here, I am expecting this to take up to a year to finish.

This is what I am building (from Hayward's How to Make Woodworking Tools book). This large scale print out has been on my workshop wall as motivation for a while...

2b03bd1aff61f01debf24560aa9db070.jpg

The bench will be done in 100% Beech. I have about 5 slabs of 45-55mm thick boards (widths of 400-500mm) which I bought cheap for about £70. I also have some thicker stock of skip planed beech from Duffield timber for the top. All in, I've spent about £150 including a used Record vice that needs attention.

040da98707dc0f2228e776bb12e30046.jpg

Day 1, I started by breaking up the slabs into stock for the legs. I used a track saw to establish a straight edge and then bandsawed the rest. This is is seriously heavy stuff to work with, I am having to take it slowly to protect my back.

4cd2884dd55ecf3c6cd2c642fbc4a0ce.jpg

I have planed a couple of lengths so far, and it planes really nicely, if a little boring looking...it's only Beech after all...

580bee6a5649bf5bfa47bf3c93740cfe.jpg

I'm no expert, so as I post, feel free to point out mistakes.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Can't wait to see those drawings which I've admired many times turned into the reality of a bench so I shall be watching with interest Bodgers. Hope it all goes well!

" I am expecting this to take up to a year to finish."

??
Once you've prepared the stock, the rest you could do in a day at an easy pace.
Good thing you don't do this for a living. :)

Good luck, in any case.

dzj":3285kpi1 said:
" I am expecting this to take up to a year to finish."

??
Once you've prepared the stock, the rest you could do in a day at an easy pace.
Good thing you don't do this for a living. :)

Good luck, in any case.
Err thanks. Or something.

I have very limited time in the workshop. 3 kids and a full time job and all that.

Looks a good bench but I don't see any point in the splayed back legs. Maybe just do them square in the normal way?

I understand the year deadline. I cut the first board for my bench at least 6 months back, since then I’ve had a dozen other house related jobs, and spent more time with my growing family and as a result done little else. I’m actually thinking I need to make a plan/schedule with SWBMO agreeing a few hours each week and dedicate them to the bench else I’ll never move it forwards.

Good luck with the build, I look forward to the updates whenever they come.

Fitz.

Jacob":1bw3utxf said:
Looks a good bench but I don't see any point in the splayed back legs. Maybe just do them square in the normal way?
Weight distribution and the tool well at the back I think.

If you look at Woodrights PBS episode on the mini Roubo it sort of makes sense.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... 6SuO8nQTQR

Had a look . Woodright's is a "fashion" bench, there's a lot of them about. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole! Difficult and pointless constructional details and a stupid all timber leg vice.
Hayward's bench has just a bit of "fashion" input, but better ignored.
Proper work benches tend to look really boring - not fashionable or interesting at all!

Bodgers":1wyy54er said:
Err thanks. Or something.

I have very limited time in the workshop. 3 kids and a full time job and all that.

No offence meant, Bodgers. Family obligations can be burdensome.

Looks like a great project and a handsome bench.

The splayed legs are probably not necessary but great way to practice skills and works perfectly when done.

Wish I could make one in a day :shock:

I get that the angled legs look cute, but they'll add at least 50% to your build time and at least double the opportunity for a catastrophic cock-up. Are they really worth it, especially when you're so time limited?

If the answer is yes then have a read of this.

leadwood-desk-t102286.html

It's a short WIP for a desk with similarly angled legs. One of the points I'd underline is the need for a full sized rod or plan whenever you're working with angles. You'll need it to get accurate dimensions for the side rails, plus it'll throw up a few interesting conundrums. For example, take the lower shelf, are you going to bevel the top edge of the lower long back rail to act a support for the shelf? And if so exactly what should the height of that back rail be in order to ensure the shelf lays flat, and what are the implications for laying out the M&T's at the ends of the rail? These are the sort of constructional detail that all need to be fully resolved on a full scale rod before you even begin cutting wood.

Good luck!

"Wish I could make one in a day "

Once you have dimensioned stock, cutting to length, making a dozen or so
M&Ts and gluing everything up is what any apprentice can manage easily in a day.
With the kit an average amateur/ DIY shop is equipped these days, most anyone can do it also.

Yes, family/ professional obligations can be a hindrance.

Looking forward to seeing the progress Bodgers. Requesting the design - this is a bench you'll look at and use every time you're in the workshop, so build it however you like!

Sure a super simple 'boring' design might be the most functional, but creating one with a nice form without hindering function is surely a more rewarding feat?

custard":35gw9hap said:
I get that the angled legs look cute, but they'll add at least 50% to your build time and at least double the opportunity for a catastrophic cock-up. Are they really worth it, especially when you're so time limited?

If the answer is yes then have a read of this.

leadwood-desk-t102286.html

It's a short WIP for a desk with similarly angled legs. One of the points I'd underline is the need for a full sized rod or plan whenever you're working with angles. You'll need it to get accurate dimensions for the side rails, plus it'll throw up a few interesting conundrums. For example, take the lower shelf, are you going to bevel the top edge of the lower long back rail to act a support for the shelf? And if so exactly what should the height of that back rail be in order to ensure the shelf lays flat, and what are the implications for laying out the M&T's at the ends of the rail? These are the sort of constructional detail that all need to be fully resolved on a full scale rod before you even begin cutting wood.

Good luck!
I did come up with my own design which was actually more complicated, so I am actually seeing this as a simpler task than what I had planned. I was sort of hoping my skills would stretch to cutting angles, but I guess I am about to find out.

To answer the bevel question - yes. I hadn't thought too much past that as I am pretty much concentrating on the 'A frame' end bits for now as they will be glued - the rest will be knock down.

The drawings from the book are pretty limited...but I have extra info.

Don't laugh, but in a fairly recent issue of Popular Woodworking they guy from benchcrafted tools wrote an article about making this exact bench as a kids bench. So I have a copy of that to refer to as well.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... capIPajwwo

http://benchcrafted.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... y.html?m=1

Jacob":1g8nx86h said:
Had a look . Woodright's is a "fashion" bench, there's a lot of them about. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole! Difficult and pointless constructional details and a stupid all timber leg vice.
Proper work benches tend to look really boring - not fashionable or interesting at all!
Well maybe, but I'm not arguing with Hayward. He knew what he was doing. It is simpler than the mini Roubo anyways.

Bodgers":1da9iiog said:
Jacob":1da9iiog said:
Well maybe, but I'm not arguing with Hayward. He knew what he was doing. .....
He was trying to introduce an original twist into yet another article about benches. All part of making a living as a writer - otherwise he'd only need to write one article about benches in his lifetime - there isn't that much to say!

Jacob":34mxnrw5 said:
Bodgers":34mxnrw5 said:
Jacob":34mxnrw5 said:
Well maybe, but I'm not arguing with Hayward. He knew what he was doing. .....
He was trying to introduce an original twist into yet another article about benches. All part of making a living as a writer - otherwise he'd only need to write one article about benches in his lifetime - there isn't that much to say!
I have a few of his books and I disagree.

I get that - good idea to sort out one night per week. Good for you to have something to look forward to.

I think that some jobs will get done quickly - but then I lose some weekend time and can't catch it up because of powertools and noise for the neighbours in the evenings. There are times as well when after a few disturbed nights you can't risk turning on the pillar drill or marking out something complex because your are so bl**dy tired!!

Good luck with the bench build - keep posting

Fitzroy":2o741nrw said:
I understand the year deadline. I cut the first board for my bench at least 6 months back, since then I’ve had a dozen other house related jobs, and spent more time with my growing family and as a result done little else. I’m actually thinking I need to make a plan/schedule with SWBMO agreeing a few hours each week and dedicate them to the bench else I’ll never move it forwards.

Good luck with the build, I look forward to the updates whenever they come.

Fitz.

So I stole an hour last night to try and get the four legs prepped.

The original drawings, in imperial measures, call for a leg 3"X2". By the time I have planed down this stock to something straight, with parallel sides, I'm down to 44mm (1.7") thicknesses. So basically I am down to laminations to get the thickness.

As I am going to the effort of resawing lengths to do this, I am going to bump the thickness to around 60mm (about 2.5"), with the width at 85mm (about 3.5").

After resawing the thinner strips and planning down, I am facing that typical realisation of just how much timber bites the dust in the stock preparation. Kind of sad really.

Another realisation is how much beech moves; of the stuff I prepped a few days ago I am already seeing some movement in some of the pieces.

07335259f86f0118b362ea78ff55e009.jpg

Bodgers":1hn8xchp said:
So I stole an hour last night to try and get the four legs prepped.

The original drawings, in imperial measures, call for a leg 3"X2". By the time I have planed down this stock to something straight, with parallel sides, I'm down to 44mm (1.7") thicknesses. So basically I am down to laminations to get the thickness.

As I am going to the effort of resawing lengths to do this, I am going to bump the thickness to around 60mm (about 2.5"), with the width at 85mm (about 3.5").

After resawing the thinner strips and planning down, I am facing that typical realisation of just how much timber bites the dust in the stock preparation. Kind of sad really.

Another realisation is how much beech moves; of the stuff I prepped a few days ago I am already seeing some movement in some of the pieces.

07335259f86f0118b362ea78ff55e009.jpg

They look like long legs! Are you making the common beginners mistake of planing timber before cutting it to length? Difficult and wasteful.

Back