Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainMan

Reaction score
I want to get my first router, I've wanted I've for 25 years (since a kid, when instead I had to use a chisel).

It's not a question of price, but more not wanting to get anything that I grow out of quickly.

I've read lots of threads on here, and I direct to use it both by hand and in a table, but I'm favouring a 1/4" collet, the DeWalt Compact d26204 kit. I like the lightweight size and choice of fixed and plunge.

What kind of things might I struggle with only ¼" - I'm mainly looking at small scale woodwork, wooden toys the occasional bit of DIY door hanging. Is it just a case of taking more time to remove a large mortice or are there real limitations?

MountainMan":35mv7i80 said:
I've read lots of threads on here, and I direct to use it both by hand and in a table, but I'm favouring a 1/4" collet, the DeWalt Compact d26204 kit. I like the lightweight size and choice of fixed and plunge.

The plunge depth of these smaller routers is usually only about 50mm, check the plunge depth of the specific model you're interested in because that's a bit limiting for use in a router table.

1/4" and palm routers are perfect for some applications, like routing out hinge mortices or rounding over the edges of furniture projects, but they're just not beefy enough for more demanding jobs like cutting full scale mortices or panel raising. For table mounted router work you really need a 75mm plus plunge depth, a half inch collet, and a 2hp plus motor.

If you get serious about routing you'll almost certainly end up with at least one of each. The little DeWalts are fine machines, so no harm in starting there and then getting its big brother if you find woodworking's for you.

Hi

For my first router i got a1/2", becuase i wanted to use a router table. Later on, i got a smaller 1/4", for light duty stuff. If i had to choose just one of the two, I'd choose the 1/2, because it's more versatile. (But bigger, heavier, etc).

Trend or DeWalt or Bosch professional (the navy blue coloured tools) are all good brands. If you wanted a budget second router, then get a Clarke (machine mart) one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

phil.p":3fwisy2p said:
There is a lot you can do with a 1/2" one that you can't with a 1/4", but not much you can do with a 1/4" that you can't with a 1/2". If nothing else you'll have a far greater choice of cutters.
Yes becuase 1/2" routers can use an adapter for 1/4" cutters

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Before buying my first router, I took the advice of my son, a 20 veteran of shopfitting / carpentry.
On his word I bought a 1/2" makita and stuck it straight into a home made table.
Thats has been my most used tool for the past three years.
i have since acquired a couple 1/4" makita edge trimmers second hand, a bosch 1/4" and an 8 mm powerplus for a sled mounted router.
DO NOT buy a powerplus!.
The makitas are fantastic machines. zero problems.

To balance the discussion, half inch routers are too generally too big and cumbersome for fine freehand work, for balancing on narrow edges, etc. The advice about depth is the real deal. If you need deep cuts or want to use in a table you need a half inch machine. If you're going to be happy working upto about an inch, then there's a lot you can do with a 1/4" router but not 2 inch deep mortices.
I've been spoilt. I've had Elu (swiss made) machines for many years (an Elu 1/4" plunge router was one of the first woodworking power tools I bought because there aren't many substitutes for what they can do). This makes me appreciate good build quality. A lot of modern routers still don't come close, including the Elu designs that Dewalt are still building thirty years on after buying the company.
Top brands in my opinion are Festool and Bosch.
Hitachi, Makita and others make good reliable tools but routers spin fast and I would argue that precision bearings, good dynamic balance and innovation are things to value in a router.
Please don't buy a second hand Elu, I haven't completed my set and don't need anyone competing for the rare "as new" machines that occasionally come on the market.
As you shop around, look very carefully at the collets. A good router collet is very finely ground and ejects the cutter when you unscrew it. It's a good telltale. The collets are on some cheap machines are very basic.
You'll have fun. A router's a good tool and you'll soon be suckered into making jigs for different jobs.

To balance the discussion, half inch routers are too generally too big and cumbersome for fine freehand work, for balancing on narrow edges, etc. ...
Certainly - but how much work is done on an edge? And it's easy with fences anyway. How many people buy a router for fine freehand work? I had a 1/4" for a few years before a 1/2" one, and now have both - I would say without question buy the 1/2" first. They are capable of so much more, unless you wish to spend hours inlaying ............. in which case buy both. :D

I would get the 1/2 Hitachi for £160 and a 1/4 Katsu for £32.90 that is all you will ever need router wise forever.
Obviously I don't take any notice of my own advice because at the last count I had 8!

They do tend to breed, dont they?
i'm up to 5 now, and I'm thinking of keeping them all in separate locked cages.

I'm still undecided. My indecision is almost comical.

I started looking at Bosch ACE1400, then decided I should go 1/2", so considered Triton MOF001. Then I decided I would like to use in a table and out, and that I won't get a table just yet. So then I looked at lighter models for hand use, which is where I got to looking at the palm routers.

I was ready to make the plunge (get it!)and buy the DeWalt palm and get a bigger 1/2" and a table later. And then someone mentioned the Katsu!

You'll find that most people own two or more routers, because there isn't a single router that suits all occasions. I have a triton TRA001 under the table, a dewalt 2620 for handheld work and a katsu for simple edging.

I'd suggest starting with a router that will cover the type of work you're going to do most, and then consider adding another at a later date if needed

For your scale, I would recommend a 1/4" just for easy of handling. Being able to hold a router in one hand really makes it more manageable for flush trimming or ovolo. I also use the DeWalt 26200 both handheld and in an Axminster router table as the depth adjustment with the screw collar made it really easy to set the height of bits.

Having just bought a Katsu for a fraction of the price, I could see it doing a lot of the same work as the DeWalt. It will not have the oomph for large cuts or full size mouldings, you will want 1/2" with more power.

I'd say buy a Katsu for now (it's like, £35) and see how you get on. Lots of people here seem to enjoy them.

+1 on the 1/2" and Katsu, I would go for the Katsu kit with the 3 bases.

Pete

You have identified 2 areas at opposite ends of the spectrum. For the scale woodworking I would definately go for the 1/4 inch router, but it wont cut mortices more than anot 30mm deep whereas a1/2 inch router will cut 50mm deep without problems. A 1/2 inch shank has 4 times as much meat as a 1/4 inch one.
I think you are better buying a quality router rather than a cheap and cheerful. I use Dewalt and an Elu from nearly 30 years ago which I changed the bearings on.
Like previous post routers dont seem to like living on their own as I have 4
Ian

The Hitachi 1/2" routers are perfect for masons mitres on worktops and that sort of heavy duty work, the extra weight keeps them stable, they are also perfect in a router table, I have two, I also have two Draper Expert 1/2" routers for use on my Leigh Dovetail jig, they are much lighter weight and have both handles low down, a see through base and three LED work lights that light up where you are cutting, I also have two Katsu's, they don't get used very often as the Draper's are only a little heavier and have much more power, recently I bought a plunging base for my Dremel to help with picture frame joints, this has proved to be a versatile tool for all sorts of precision work that, very light and manoeuvrable, worth looking at for model making.

As others have said I am sure they breed in the workshop when I am not there, I now eight.

Mike

For a half-incher, Trend T11. Not the cheapest but very powerful.

If you install it in a router table you can adjust the height without fiddling about underneath the table. I've found that a really useful feature.

I don't mean to sound patronising but do study up on correct technique when using it in a table, it can take a big heavy workpiece and launch it at you with alarming speed and power! Scared the bejesus out of me. Don't be like me, do your homework!

I can recommend the D26204 as I’ve owned one for a number of years now and if I had to buy one again, I’d buy exactly the same. I’ve used it for intricate hand-held scroll work and edge trimming, to larger routing of chamfers or simple mouldings with the plunge fitting. I recently routered cast iron with the thing (I posted that on the metalwork site) and it never phased it.

Fantastic machine and is all you’ll need. Yes the collet is quarter inch, but this will cover most of your work. However, if you’re looking to cut larger more intricate mouldings, or if you're going into jointing or panel raising territory that come with half inch shanks, you’d probably be looking to mount the router under a table for safety reasons and cut quality reasons. I have a larger dewalt permanently mounted to my router table for that reasons (and it's quicker to set up).

Latest posts

Back