Views on this bench?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLA91

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

The wife has just sent me a link to a workbech for sale in our area https://www.gumtree.com/p/tool-storage- ... 1303305571 I've uploaded an image just in case something wrong with the link. It comes with a record vice (not fitted), I personally think for £30 it's a good deal, any views? The only thing I can see with it is
>No crossbrace so could possibly wobble, but should be easily solved
>Going to have to fit vice myself, but I think I can manage that.

Thanks

Attachments

• workbench.JPG
    workbench.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 325
Bench is rubbish but might be remedied. Vice worth £30 or more on its own.

Thats a vintage record vice. you could double your money just by putting that straight back on ebay.
The bench is fit for garage storage (or firewood)

I'd go for it - the bench is worth a tenner, the vice twenty quid or more...can't lose.

Bench is far too small and flimsy for a main bench but we all have a number of smaller benches scattered around the workshop, so it'll be handy for something.

Martin.

Is it feasible/doable to get the bench up to reasonable scratch & mount the vice just to last me a few months?

Buy it, that vice is worth more, plus you can use the 'bench' as an outfeed table, or assembly table or whatever... worst case free = wood.

Always a good idea to be able to get your toes under bench, thats why kitchen units have the recess at the bottom, so the dishwasher can stand closer to the sink!

HLA91":149hyfgu said:
Is it feasible/doable to get the bench up to reasonable scratch & mount the vice just to last me a few months?
Yes very likely. Could well do you for a good bit longer than a few months :)

I saw that table and vice on Gumtree the other day and was telling my better half what a deal someone was going to get when they snapped it up. So congrats if you end up being that someone!

This old thread from here might be of help when it comes time to fit the vice: vices-fitting-a-record-bench-vice-t25365.html Just to mention briefly in relation to the rear jaw being flush or not after installation, everyone has their own preference on this but Paul Sellers and Robert Wearing to name but two say that the rear vice jaw shouldn't be flush with the front of the bench and their reasons for it being better are quite persuasive.

HLA91":3lz4mh67 said:

The answer to your question is "no".

That vice won't mount on that bench, or at least not without quite a lot of surgery. Maybe that explains why they're for sale as two separate parts? You'll get a better understanding of why not, and learn about vice mounting in general, from this article,

http://hackneytools.com/2015/02/how-to- ... cord-vice/

That doesn't necessarily make this a bad deal by the way, if it's a Record 52 1/2 and in decent working order then £30 is a very good price.

The bench could be made more viable by adding a wide apron say 10" x 1 1/2". This would brace it, provide fixing for the vice and give all the facility which a wide apron gives, in one simple step.

Back