Vandalism of a perfectly good Arcoy drill-stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I watched a TV show this afternoon called 'Money For Nothing'.

The presenter turns junk items into saleable articles, and today she had found a rusty, but otherwise servicable, Arcoy drill stand, which she rescued from someone at a Council tip.

She took it along to a guy who turned it into a table lamp; believe it or not.

What bothered me most was that my own stand is broken, and although I had it welded. it doesn't hold a drill truly vertical any more. I need a new head section on the stand. so it was agony to see what was done to the stand. I would have swapped him my stand which would have been fine for his purposes, and I would have had a good stand back in service! What makes it worse was the guy who threw away the stand lived about ten minutes away from me! ArrrggghhH!

It's sickening! :mrgreen:

Yeah, it's a silly notion. Started a while back with Duchamp and Picasso re-purposing stuff and calling it art.
Like putting a big slab of timber on some legs and thinking you've made something very smart.
A cop out really.

I too watched that program and wished I could have got hold of the drill press. I often wonder at some of the 'creations' she gets made and personally wouldnt give them houseroom! I often think some people have got more money than sense!

dzj":btptnlrw said:
Yeah, it's a silly notion. Started a while back with Duchamp and Picasso re-purposing stuff and calling it art.
Like putting a big slab of timber on some legs and thinking you've made something very smart.
A cop out really.

It all depends on how stuck up your own **** you are about it tbh - a while back some ppl put a bunch of slabs of rock on top of other slabs of rock and ppl are still dancing around it today... a slab of wood and legs is still a bench to sit on, instead of wet ground, whatever it looks like.

" a slab of wood and legs is still a bench to sit on, instead of wet ground, whatever it looks like."

Nothing wrong with this from a utilitarian point, but when they slap an enormous price tag on it, it's a bit of an "Emperor's New Clothes" thing.
As for the people dancing around the rock slabs, I must admit I don't know why they do this.

In the instance of the 'modified' drill stand. From what I could see of the stand, when she took it from the guy at the tip, there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it. it even had the hold down clamp, for morticing. All that was needed was a strip-down, a clean and a drop of oil. It would have been a perfectly usable stand. To turn it into a somewhat ugly 'table-lamp' just seemed way off beam to me! So it isn't so much about what is or isn't art. It was a waste of a good piece of kit. :twisted:

" It was a waste of a good piece of kit."

Absolutely.

it was one persons junk , hence it ended up on the tip. Someone could have rescued it to be used as intended but they did not, therefore converting to a lamp does nobody any harm. I never saw the program by the way so cannot comment on the end product.

Okay. It was junk! No problem.

However, one man's junk and all that. To me it was a way of reinstating my drill stand, and the chances that another will come along are almost zero. :(

Benchwayze":g6yey7bm said:
Okay. It was junk! No problem.

However, one man's junk and all that. To me it was a way of reinstating my drill stand, and the chances that another will come along are almost zero. :(
Can you post a pic of yours ? I seem to remember seeing a drill stand the last few visits to the tip,maybe just maybe.......

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Coley,

http://forums.ukworkshop.co.uk/viewtopi ... 9&p=793147

There you go. That isn't mine, but 'tis the same.

At risk of reviving a two year old thread, I used a Stanley Bridges drill with mine. And a morticing attachment. I still have it all, and the only thing wrong is the stand, which snapped across the drill mounting ring. As said, the weld wasn't particularly successful. One day I might get an engineer to do whatever is possible!
Arcoy produced a 'Buccaneer' Drill wich went with the stand, btw.

Doorframe:

You do realise that in fact, the King wasn't wearing any clothes at all? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a matter of personal taste I suppose. I thought it looked like a rusty lump of junk.

That's what makes the world go around, they say.

Cheers

John, you misunderstand my post.

The 'cracker' was your joke about the lamp being 'off-beam'. It was a joke..... right???????? :wink:

Never mind. I'm off to light the barbie and open a beer. Probably last barbie this year :(

Ahhhhh... I see!
Now I feel churlish! Sorry DF. :oops:

TBH it was an unintentional joke. I really didn't mean to allude to a 'beam of light'! The play on words never registered with me. ' :mrgreen:
My word, if I can come up with unintentional 'cracks', what could I do if I put my mind to it!

Too much Southern Comfort the other night, maybe!
Not a problem. I just ain't thinking straight sometimes.

Now I am off to watch 'The Go-Between'. Enjoy your barbie. it's a bit chilly up here for that!

Cheers and take care.

Hi, I know that your post about the arcoy drill stand was a long time ago, but if you are still interested, I have one in good condition, including a working buccaneer drill. If you would like it, you would be welcome to have it. You would have to arrange collection from Sidmouth, Devon. I am not trying to sell this, I am happy to give this to anyone who is interested
Regards
Mick Howitt

Back