Aldi Bandsaw trips power

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
Just picked up an Aldi bandsaw along with one of those little vacuums they have.

Did all the adjustments on the bandsaw, plugged in and it trips the power each time. Is there something fundamentally wrong with it or have I done something, missed something ?

lurker":sd64b01w said:
whilst unplugged, do the wheels rotate freely?

They rotate with very little effort but don't spin freely as such, they stop within 0.5/1 second if I manually give them a whirl.

When you say it trips the power as soon as you plug it in, do you mean that you don't get as far as pressing the NVR on button or that when you press that the power trips. Is it the MCB tripping indicating overcurrent or the RCCB indicating an earth fault?

What's tripping? is it a breaker or the RCD? If a breaker, try it on another circuit with a higher amperage one (maybe the cooker circuit) or, a circuit with a type B or C breaker.

Sorry I wasn't being clear...

When I push the green button on the NVR both the rcd* on the circuit and the main house breaker trip.

Is it likely that the induction motor is pulling too much current? I run my Dewalt 745 off the same connection (not at the same time :) ) and it's fine but it's not an induction motor - nothing else I own has an induction motor.

* the main breaker trips, when I turn it back on, the rcd trips. I turn that on and everything else powers backup. (computers etc).

that sounds like it is a direct earth fault. I had the same refurbishing a planner thicknesser, I had nicked the wire and hadn't noticed. Save yourself hassle and take it back.

Thanks everyone, took it back for a refund...

I'll have to try something else :)

I did keep the little vacuum / Blower I got at the same time tho. that seems fine.

I think they only had 6 in stock this morning. I might try and order online instead.

screwpainting":21q8ral9 said:
Did you get it replaced?

No , I took it back but they had none left... debating Matt's one which I think I'll go for if it's still around.

Latest posts

Back