Laser printers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I print very few photographs so use Tesco fantastic price if you use the 7 day response. There will be others who will print photos. Far better than a printer for photos if you only do a few.

Brian

If you only want to print in black, a mono laser printer is the way to go. I got an old HP laserjet from a charity auction for £1! I only use it occasionally and it always works, unlike every other inkjet printer I've ever had which clog up if you don't use them regularly. Old HP printers are well made and parts are easily available on ebay etc.

If you want to buy new, buy a printer from Costco as their returns policy is excellent. My wife has bought many printers from them for her business over the years and every time they go wrong (which inkjets invariably do) they will give you a full refund, even years later after the normal guarantee has expired. You don't even need the receipt as they keep records of all your purchases, ever.

JUst throwing it into the mix:
I like lasers but if you don't do a lot of printing they (do / did) take time to warm up or consume much more power than an inkjet if you keep them in standby ?
I've had a nice - Epson A3 photo quality - inkjet go to the tip because I wasn't using it regularly enough and it dried out beyond repair.
I've had good home use out of Canon multifunction inkjets over the last several years but the breakthrough came when I changed to (i) aftermarket ink and then )ii) a set of aftermarket refillable / self resetting cartridges. I'd just pull the relevantcartridge and squirt in some more ink whenever the print became iffy - refilled dozens of times and saved £££. 200ml bulk ink bottles last a long time
This year I bought an epson A3 workforce multifunction printer. Lots of machine for not much over £100 to buy. Of course one full set of high capacity original inks will cost as much as the printer iteslf so 3rd party ink is the only way to go but it uses high capacity cartridges good for thousands of pages. will scan and print duplex, photocopy, yada yada ...
What matters most for me is A3 duplex scan with a sheet feed so I can better store paperwork on the PC instead of all over our house, and the ability to print drawings and diagrams crisply in A3. Lasers are good at this but I suspect inkjet is cheaper and nowadays pretty much as good.

Chris152":25y8jaj5 said:
Having read this thread I want to buy a laser printer. Apparently it needs to have colour. So I was thinking about this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Color-Laser ... G7LZX&th=1
I have no idea about laser printers other than what I've read in this thread.?
Why does the printer need to have colour? Colour is normally for photos & that's where an inkjet will probably give better quality than a laser printer.

If you only need to print a few photos, take the memory card or USB stick to the shops & get them printed - much cheaper. Don't know how for mobile phones but it must be relatively simple.

The other piece of advice is, for less than the cost of the printer you linked to, you can get a laser all-in-one printer, copier & scanner.

Mine is a Brother MFC-L2700DW. Is it the best quality or best value for money. No idea, only time will tell but it does everything I need including printing on both sides (duplex) without having to turn the paper.

Again I make the point about connectivity. If it's connected to the router anything else that connects to the router will be able to print.

Thanks all - really helpful. In the end I went for the HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw - ordered direct from HP it comes with £40 cash back and 3 years support, so hopefully a good deal. Cheers, C.

Back