HP Smart Adapter - annoying popup message!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul200

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone reading this can help. I've a Hewlett Packard Pavilion laptop running Windows 10. The mains adapter recently stopped working so I bought a new one using the part number shown on the original. All works fine now but I'm getting an annoying popup every time I start which basically tells me that the HP adapter I've bought is not sufficiently powerful for my laptop. If that's the case why did HP supply the same one originally??

I've googled the problem and no-one seems to have an answer - apart from uninstalling anything HP related from the laptop! And the HP help pages simply spout the same nonsense as the popup.

Anyone else suffered this and/or know how to stop the message appearing? I can sort most software problems by trial and error but this is beyond me.

Chers

Paul

Have you still got the old one? you could check output its on the label.
If its the same get back to the suppliers and get them to replace it with the right one.

Pete

I'll betcha its a windows 10 issue, nothing to do with HP.
My wifes phone does the same thing every time a different charger is used, and thats a nokia.

Paul200":2gbcv1yj said:
...….The mains adapter recently stopped working so I bought a new one using the part number shown on the original. All works fine now but I'm getting an annoying popup every time I start which basically tells me that the HP adapter I've bought is not sufficiently powerful for my laptop. If that's the case why did HP supply the same one originally??......

Did you detirmine why or how your original adaptor failed.
Was it shutting down because of too much current draw and/or overheating by any chance?

Is the warning appearing as soon as you start charging or does it come on after a while because the adaptor output is throttling down because of overheating.

Is the current system configuration of the machine with disk usage, screen brightness etc. using more power than when you originally had it?

What is battery usage configured to:- Long Life-Maximum system performance etc.?

Thanks for the responses.

The new adapter is the correct one for the machine and is a genuine HP product.
The old one just stopped working - no idea why.
The warning appears as soon as I turn the machine on - but not again until the next switch on.
I use the machine exactly the same way as when I first had it - not much!
Battery usage is default configuration - I've not changed anything.

When I did a search for the problem there were a lot of people having a similar problem and also annoyed because the message seems to be saying that you've bought an inferior product - if that's the case why supply it with the laptop originally?? Very odd.

Apart from a lot of 'fixes' which don't work I found one suggestion to remove the battery and restart the machine. Why not give it a go? I thought. So I've just done exactly that - no popup. Re-inserted the battery and re-started - no popup. Sort of sorted but I'll wait and see.

The inner workings of these things is a bit of a mystery to me, I must admit, and I'm starting to think that the same is true of the people who make them.

If it comes back I'll let you know!

Cheers

Paul

I would guess that the adaptors have a chip onboard with a unique identification number that is paired to the machine. When the machine is powered up it checks the numbers and if they don't match it flags up a standard message whinging about not using the correct adaptor.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a field in the system BIOS to fix this. Failing that just ignore it, It's the "If you don't use our product it will explode" attitude of the manufacturer.

Gerry

Back