Painting Iron Gates/Railings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just about to tackle this job but I'm looking for recommendations for the best paint to use?

I'm after a matt sort of finish rather than gloss.

Any recommendations?

Cheers
Phil

Its a boring answer, but thats because it always works and theres no excitement involved.
Hammerite.
Brush the dust off, brush the paint on, throw the brush away. Go for lunch. repeat every 10 years in the UK.

Not nowadays as the formula has changed substantially.

Flag's equivalent was a very good alternative until recently, but Toolstation/Wickes have stopped selling it, and it's hard to find (unless you want a pallet-full!).

I have tried the new eco-friendly Hammerite formula. Utter pants compared to the original. It may last better if you waste ages prepping the surface (cleaning, degreasing, marinading, whatever), but the point was rather that you didn't need to do that (as Sunnybob implied).

I still have half of a 20-year-old tin of smooth black, which is still fine after a top-up of xylene occasionally...

Which is better, doing the job once with the original, or four times with the new rubbish, and having to weld up rust damage too?

You might try Galvafroid followed by a simple outdoor gloss. You can matt it with white spirit, if it hasn't quite gone off completely, and Galvafroid really works although it is pricey.

We must be getting all the "nasty" left over paint that you tree huggers dont like nowadays. Our hammerite is as good as it ever was.
5 years now on the gates, in temps of 40c in the shade (I have recorded 75c with an infra red contactless thermometer pointed at the gates), and its only just gone flat.
Politically correct hasnt reaches Cyprus yet. 8) 8)

I use a black gloss from spencer coatings from my local farm suppliers. Incredible stuff, you can hit it with a hammer and it doesn't chip.

Latest posts

Back